Chapter 3: The Missing Binder

CHAPTER THREE

Lucy opened her eyes and clawed the blanket off her face, trying to breathe. Sunlight speckled in from a dirty window, rays highlighting the frescoes, yellow flowers against the hallway's green walls.

Octavia!

The room came more into focus. No, Octavia was not here. She couldn't breathe because she had been drowning. Where was she now?

A dog bounded from the floor and jumped on her. Her heart thumped. Its paws pressed down on her ribs.

"Peppo!"

Beyond the small dog, a young man in shirtsleeves and suspenders, rough and gangly, stared at her from the doorway. His shirt's open neck made her look away. The dog jumped to the floor and ran over to the boy. Lucy thought of Khun wandering to Octavia when she was small and his aspect was a puppy.

She inched up to sitting, her body stiff and bruised, and pulled the blanket to her neck. It would not be appropriate for the boy to see her in this nightgown. Of all the things she could have expected if she had failed, Lucy had never considered the idea she might fall into the clutches of a Venetian.

"Do not be afraid," the boy said. At least he could speak English, even if he didn't have enough breeding to know he shouldn't stare at her.

"Who are you?" she whispered. She meant to speak up, but her voice wouldn't cooperate with her.

"Carlo Borgia. This is my family's home. You are safe."

There had to be more to this than there appeared. No person would want to bring a Binder home, and yet here she was.

"Your bird," Carlo Borgia continued, "he is here, too. My grandfather is an apothecary and believes you are well, although you have damaged your throat, and no doubt your ribs and lungs are in pain. We can bring a doctor here, if you like, or contact your people. You are English? Maybe you are traveling with your family?"

Borgia. Borgia. One of the old European magical families? She tried to hide further under the blankets.

"Your clothes were very ruined," said Carlo Borgia. "I can get you some other clothes, but in this neighborhood, they will be child's clothes. And you are not a child?"

"No." Lucy blushed.

Carlo reddened in return. His eyes moved away from her and toward the ceiling. "It was the clothes you were wearing. Not children's style. So, where is your family staying?"

Lucy tried to sit up more and little brown dots danced before her eyes. She lay down and covered her eyes with a forearm. "I am traveling by myself." Her voice grew stronger.

"Please excuse me to be doubting an English lady, but you are not by yourself."

"Where is Ra?" Her crackling voice hurt her ears.

"Ra?"

"The bird," she said. She uncovered her eyes.

"He is outside."

Lucy fought her way to sitting again. "We will be on our way, then, if I can have some clothes."

"No," said Carlo. "I don't think you should go just yet. You almost died."

Lucy smiled at him. He wasn't handsome like Drusus. He felt comfortable, though, which puzzled her. Usually talking to other people made her voice squeak. She had little practice. "If I learned anything last night, I found I'm not allowed to die."

The silence became awkward. Carlo tried again. "Do you want something for pain? Are you thirsty? My mother wants you to have some soup. You want some soup? Grandpa has put things in it that are good for your throat. Or I could make you some tea?"