Chapter 18: The Theft

The world was at Octavia's command. Anything was possible. With Neith's help, she and Ra could destroy Balthazar. Why would Caius help her? Was he trying to save himself?

No matter. Justice demanded Octavia kill her father, and once Caius was gone, Neith would return to the Abyss. Then Ra and Octavia would claim the Solomon Scroll.

Freedom rushed through Octavia, made her feel wild, as powerful as she had after Khun had taken her, full of primal magic. She was freed by Ra and his power. Ra made the voices inside her go away. Only his voice remained.

They would claim the scroll and remake the world in Ra's image; in their image. Maybe she could summon Khun to her again. Why not? She was powerful enough to control two demons, wasn't she? She could even bring Lucy back to life.

Lucy back to life? Where had that idea come from?

She shook her head to clear it. No, Lucy was gone, sent into oblivion in a thousand tiny pieces. There was no bringing Lucy back.

"Octavia."

Drusus. He had survived his battle with her, his fall. What did he think of her now, the powerful Binder combined with Ra? He never approved of Khun. Or was it Octavia he never approved of?

"You're still here."

"Stop this. All this. You can control Ra. You have the discipline, the power."

Kill him. He is a distraction. You must find Balthazar. You must gain the scroll.

"Ra wants me to kill you."

"You don't want to kill me."

"No, I don't. I'm sorry I didn't find you after Lucy..." She wanted to touch him, to hold him. "Why did you choose Lucy? Why didn't you stay with me?"

Drusus stepped toward her. "Lucy needed my help. She suffered because of my bad judgment. I should never have let Paolo Borgia talk her into anything. You are suffering as well. Let me help you." He reached for her and her body flared metallic. He shielded his eyes and still walked forward.

"We can't return to the way things were," Octavia said. "You must see that. I am not the same."

"No," said Drusus. "I can help you. Let me help you."

"I don't want you and I don't want Khun. I want this power. And then"—she smiled, looking into an ideal future—"when I have made everything right, I want you both. I can make the world as I want it." Except there was no Khun now. She steeled inside. There was no Khun now.

You do not need them. Go now to the scroll.

Neith would not let Balthazar touch the scroll. "We have time," said Octavia. Ra's commands hammered in her skull. She clutched her head. "Stop it! I am the Binder! I command you to stop!"

"Octavia, listen. Trust me. We can stop Ra."

"I don't want you to stop Ra. Stop telling me what to do!" Her voice was accusing.

Drusus was right. All this was his fault. Yet, looking at Drusus, she felt everything she had wanted slipping through her fingers. Was Balthazar right? Why should Ra care about her for any reason but the scroll? The power inside her was potent and exhilarating. She had purpose, but she was more alone than she had ever been. Ra had no interest in her the way Khun did, even though he was inside her. He did not love her.

Drusus stepped toward her like one might approach a spooked horse. "Listen to me," he said, his voice gentle. "I want to help you. Let me help you."

"Drusus, I... I can't... you don't understand... I didn't want this... please help me."

"Octavia, don't listen to him." Caius spoke from behind Drusus, where he leaned against the wall. "I can help you. Balthazar is stealing the scroll now. Neith is fighting him, but you and Ra, you need to stop them."