Chapter 4: The Borgias

Carlo ground a plant into paste as he thought things through. He had the feeling his usual life had boarded a boat and left Venice. Lucy had gone back to sleep, exhausted. Ra, the demon falcon, watched the house from the courtyard, announcing his presence to any neighbors who came to play, talk, or get water. Most people chose to stay inside today. It wasn't only because of the rain.

In the house, Sofia was intent on stitching a shirt. Too intent. The silence smothered him. Another idyllic family morning at the Borgia home. Carlo glanced out the window behind him at the busy street, people on their way to market, to work, not the night shift he was used to. The rain made the race outside manic.

"Where did Nonno go?" Carlo asked.

"He has gone to see the soldiers about the girl. That will be an end to the Binder, at least." Sofia tied off a thread and cut it with shiny silver shears.

Carlo paused in his grinding. "Lucy said we would be afraid of her."

"Anyone with sense would be."

Carlo stopped grinding. "You are not being very Christian, Mama. I thought you were supposed to be religious."

"Carlo, she is a Binder. God would not want her in this house."

"Would God turn out someone driven to despair, someone who tried to kill herself?"

Sofia pointed at Carlo with the shears. "Suicide is a sin. The worst sin."

Carlo scraped the paste from the small bowl onto a plate. "I know it's a sin. But hear yourself."

Sofia brushed away the hair over her eyes. "It's not like I think she should be thrown back in the canal. I feel sorry for her, I do. To be so young and involved in so much darkness... You must feel it about her, the dark magic."

"I don't," said Carlo. "I like her and I saved her, so I will take care of her."

Sofia crossed herself. "You have no idea what you are talking about. The demon outside—the sooner it goes, the better. Let the soldiers have your English Binder and get her back to her family."

"Do you understand the demon wants to kill her?"

Sophia dropped the shears and the shirt into her lap. She rubbed her eyes. There were shadows under them like bruises. "Carlo, I do not want you involved with this. She is black magic."

"I am already involved. You know I am responsible for her now."

"Let your grandfather see to this. He's good at fixing things." His mother waited a few moments before going back to her sewing. "Nothing you or I can do will save her. Better to concentrate on saving ourselves from her."

"How can you say that?"

"I'm saying nothing else. The matter is closed."

"Why are you so afraid?"

Sofia returned to her even stitches. "She deserves to die. All those who fraternize with demons do."

"Mama!"

Sofia was silent again. The fire crackled. Carlo heated like the flames. He'd never seen her like this. He glanced out the window again. Leaving was his best option, before he said something he would regret, before he was an undutiful son. "I'm going to find him."

Clouds had come in during the night, and rain fell in a steady curtain. Carlo hunched into his cloak, still damp from carrying Lucy. As he sloshed through the streets, Carlo noticed activity among the Austrian troops. It wasn't the day for their usual maneuvers in San Marco Square. Perhaps it was a leave day and they didn't want to be cooped up? Unlike the Venetians, who took acqua alta in stride, the occupying army thought it an unnatural event. If a man wanted to swim, they said, he would jump in a canal.