𝗶𝗶. 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗱𝗿𝗶𝘃𝗲

┌─ii. chapter two, the drive ─┐

ambrosia sighed, grabbing her clothes and stuffing them into her bag. she was officially no longer a patient at kindred hospital. she looked around her, observing the quiet morning that had been blessed upon her. ambrosia used to be a morning person, going on hikes and walks at the crack of dawn.

of course that wasn't quite possible anymore.

as she zipped up her black bag, she sat it next to a box she filled with her belongings. there was a light, frantic knock at the door before agnes shuffled in, kind eyes filled with sadness. felix and liz were right behind her.

"oh my dear ambrosia, i heard you were leaving. i had to come say goodbye." her voice trembled, overcome with emotion. felix walked over and put his hand on her back for support, while liz stayed, leaning on the door frame.

her heart filled with affection for the older woman. agnes had been a constant source of support and wisdom during her time in the hospital, even though she was battling her own health issues.

she had just turned 63 last month, they celebrated her birthday together, seeing as her daughter and granddaughters were on vacation. not like they would visit anyways. her family was similar to ambrosia's mother in a way. protecting themselves from this environment full of depression and sick people.

together, the girl and her friend walked arm in arm down the hospital stairs, with liz cracking jokes to lighten the mood, felix holding ambrosia's hand for reassurance.

when they reached the lobby, felix hugged her tightly, squeezing as if he was trying to imprint the memory of their embrace into his heart forever. she buried her face in his shoulder, as he whispered words of encouragement. "this will be good for you, ambrosia." his voice wavered, lip trembling.

"now felix, stop hogging her." liz said, rolling her eyes playfully, and nudging him back. her hand lingered on ambrosia's back, she felt the soft fabric of the shirt beneath her fingertips, before breathing in the sweet scent coming from the girl's hair. "i can't wait to hear about forks, sweetheart" liz smiled, flashing a teasing wink, before letting agnes get closer.

they embraced, tears flowing freely as they exchanged heartfelt goodbyes. agnes held onto ambrosia's hand, her eyes filled with admiration. "you will always have a place in my heart, dear girl," agnes whispered.

"goodbye guys, i love you all." ambrosia said, trying to hold back another set of tears, but it became a losing battle, she felt the weight of the goodbyes pressing down on her as she picked up her things, a box of her belongings and a backpack of clothes slung over her shoulder.

as she made her way towards her mom's grey car, she felt slightly winded, having to take a deep steady breath. she turned back to look at her friend's one last time, committing their faces to memory. liz with a reassuring smile, agnes with her tear streaked face, and felix with his eyes full of longing.

ambrosia climbed into the car, heart heavy with sorrow at leaving behind the people who had been her lifeline for so long. she watched as the hospital shrank in the distance, a symbol of the life she was leaving behind.

she glanced around, seeing the cardboard boxes that scattered the car, remembering how strange this experience would be.

"ambrosia dear?" her mom looked at her through the mirror above. "after we unpack a few things, i was thinking we could go and drop by an old friend's house?"

"old friend?" she wondered out loud.

"his name's charlie. he's now the chief of police in forks. he invited us for dinner after hearing about you. he has a daughter who moved from arizona just last week, apparently she seems lonely."