𝗶𝘃. 𝗳𝗿𝗶𝗲𝗻𝗱𝘀𝗵𝗶𝗽

┌─iv. chapter four, friendship ─┐

as she entered bella swan's room, she was greeted with a cozy atmosphere. the walls were painted a soft, muted green creating a calm space, and the room was full of light as the sun was setting.

a large, plush bed sits in the center of the room, adorned with a floral pastel purple comforter with matching throw pillows. the bed was neatly made, a book and some other things scattered across the covers.

a small desk was tucked against the opposite side of the room, cluttered with textbooks and school supplies. an adjustable lamp extended over the area, and her laptop sat open, its screen displaying a list of recent emails.

there were many colorful aspects to her room, such as the array of paintings decorating the walls, or the string lights hanging from the corners. it was clear that she truly had just moved back recently, everything looking to be from her childhood.

near the window, a bookshelf was filled with well loved novels and various knickknacks. there was a framed photograph of bella and who she could assume was her mother. her mom looked bubbly, happy. it was placed near a collection of seashells, and a little cactus bulb in a pot.

there was a bulletin board hanging above the desk, covered with notes and reminders. there were a few miniature posters of bands and movies too, letting ambrosia know a bit of her personality. she was surprised to see linkin park among them.

"you like linkin park?" she asked, then noticing one of their cds next to a player.

"sorta." bella answered shortly, trying to think of a way to keep the conversation going. "i don't listen to music much, only what my mom listens to. my stepdad, phil got that for me before i left phoenix."

"that's cool. i listen to music whenever possible. distracts me i guess." ambrosia replied. "i can recommend some bands like them." she paused. "if you'd like that at least."

"i would."

the silence they sat in, once awkward now felt surprisingly comfortable. it was as if both of them were able to find solace in the quiet presence of the other, slowly letting their guards down.

despite the lack of words exchanged, there was a sense of understanding and mutual respect between them that seemed to grow with each passing minute.

"what's arizona like?" the girl asked, sitting in the chair that was used for the desk. she let her finger tip brush the antique wood, feeling the smoothness.

"it's warm, and sunny." she answered from her bed. "i didn't have many friends there." she admitted.

"why not?"

"i was too busy i think. i spent most of my time taking care of the house and working part time. i had a friend at school, and one where i worked. they were okay, haven't talked since i came back here though." bella explained, fidgeting with a necklace she was wearing, while looking out the window.

"that sucks. i've had that feeling before, of losing friends." ambrosia said, sighing lightly. "after i got diagnosed i lost all of my school friends. i have some at the hospital back in seattle though."

"diagnosed?" she questioned, now facing the girl.

"your father didn't tell you?" by the look on her face, she realized she was correct. "i have cancer.. so i was in and out of the hospital for a while."

"oh." bella's heart sank for a moment. she wasn't sure on what to say, or do in a situation like this, most people weren't. she had only just met the girl, but the thought of someone her age going through such a terrifying experience was overwhelming.

"it's okay." ambrosia smiled, trying to look cheerful. "that's most people's reactions, or they say sorry and feel guilty as if they had something to do with it. makes me feel weird sometimes, but i understand. it's a big part of me, but it isn't all i am, yaknow?"

the other nodded. "can i say sorry anyways?" she asked, sitting cross legged on her bed, making ambrosia laugh. they were definitely going to get along.

the desk lamp glowed softly, casting a warm light over their faces. they had taken some time to make hot chocolate, and were now sipping on their steaming mugs. they chatted animatedly, their laughter filling the room.

bella with her chestnut hued hair, listened intently as ambrosia regaled her with stories of her closest friends. she explained that they were like family to her, with a fond smile across her face. she even brought up felix, and how they had been through so much together, the bad, the good, everything.

after hesitantly admitting they had kissed just days ago, the conversation slowly switched to boys. bella mentioned she had never had a boyfriend, or even a crush, though she had kissed a few guys before.

"you're a player!" ambrosia joked, both girls giggling. "soo what's your type?"

she had to think about it for a minute, unsure of her answer. she began to twist a lock of her hair around her finger as she stared off out the window, lost in thought.

bella had never given much thought to her type of boy before. she closed her eyes, and tried to imagine the kind of person that'd catch her eye. she pictured someone mysterious, with an air of quiet confidence that drew her in.

she imagined him as a little geeky, someone passionate about their interests and not afraid to show it. and above all she wanted someone romantic, who would sweep her off her feet with grand gestures and heartfelt words. she felt embarrassed, cheeks a rosy tint as she described it.

ambrosia gushed at her words, knowing that would be perfect for the girl. "yours?" bella asked, curious.

"i want someone romantic, and patient." she hummed, now kicking her feet gently, swinging them back and forth. "someone that doesn't judge me.. someone that makes me feel important and safe. looks don't even matter if they're everything else i want."

"that's cute." she commented, glancing at the smile on ambrosia's face.

"any guys at forks highschool catching your attention?"

"maybe." bella began, a frown overtaking her face. "there's this guy in my biology class. last week i walked into the classroom and sat next to him. he acted as if i smelt bad or something. most embarrassing moment of my life."

"oh.."

"yeah. and that's not even the worst part. after that day, he hasn't shown up. he's not skipping biology, he just isn't at school now. it's like something i did offended him."

"that is weird." ambrosia stated. "it's probably just a weird coincidence." she pointed out.

a soft tap on the door, interrupted the conversation between them. ambrosia turned to see her mother standing in the doorway with a gentle smile. she reminded her daughter that it was getting late and that they should probably head home.

the girl sighed, and stood up, giving her new friend a sad smile. they had only just begun to scratch the surface of their friendship, but it was time to leave. they exchanged promises to meet up again soon, and ambrosia left her number on the desk.

with a final wave and an agreement to message each other later, they said their farewells and she had walked down the stairs, and out the door with her mother. the room fell silent, the only sound being the echo of the closing door.

[🖤 hecrows is typing...]
thoughts on their friendship? next two chapters will be adjusting the timeline on things. la push comes first, before edward comes back from alaska:)