Chapter Eight: On Edge

Hwiyoung awakens to the sounds of his rumbling stomach four hours later, finding himself trapped in the hold of unfamiliar arms. He couldn't see a thing; it was pitch dark. And for all he knew, it was possibly nighttime outside, too. The boy might not be able to see, but he could perfectly see a light grey outline around the person.

He slowly pulled himself out, biting down on his lip as he felt the person's grip tighten around his frame. "Stay..." He hears the person breathe out tiredly although the person's grasp loosened around him. He slipped out, falling onto the ground, but he made sure not to make more noise - glancing back, seeing the outline not shift.

He slowly made his way out the door, holding in his breath as if he was on a suicide mission, and he left - hoping to find the exit. He needed to leave this unknown place; he needed to go back home even if it meant running into Taeyang, Inseong, Dawon, and Chani's hurtful remarks.

He gasps sharply, feeling someone pull him into a room.

"You should've told me you were gonna crash here." He hears Zuho's bitter voice against his ear, feeling his cold breath against the shell of his ear. "I wonder... how you'd taste."

"P-Please no." Hwiyoung whimpers out shakenly, trying to shove Zuho off him, "P-Please-." His hand is grabbed by the wrist, and he feels a sharp, cold knife run along his skin, making the hairs on his nape stand up out in fear. He visibly sees a black outline around the boy, making him think how he'll die since Death clearly has an interest in Zuho.

"You know, I pitied you whenever those jerks hurt you." Zuho says, slowly sinking in the blade of the knife into Hwiyoung's wrist. "I thought to myself: 'What if he's like me?' This horrible state of a human where we can't eat fucking food for fuck sake." He rolls his eyes, sinking in the point of the knife deeper, making Hwiyoung cry out in pain.

"But then I learned of what you can do: you can see when Death is coming, can't you?" Zuho slurs in his ear.

Hwiyoung froze.

He never wanted Zuho to know, for he had always hoped Zuho would care for him as a friend. But, it appears he was wrong.

He truly has no one.

***

Rowoon awakens, feeling his side completely empty, and he gets up - leaving his room in a frenzy. He walks around the establishment, searching frantically for the boy he didn't know. He may not know the boy, but he knows it's wrong to hurt someone for a stupid thought or action.

He pauses outside of Zuho's room, hearing muffled cries and whimpers; he feels his heart race quickly against his chest, and he barges in - quickly turning on the light, making Zuho back away quickly.

"He came to me!" Zuho shouts.

Hwiyoung's eyes are puffy out of pain, his cheeks tear stained, his wrists bleeding; Rowoon walks to the boy, picking up carefully. His eyes were cold and stern towards Zuho, "You're not the person I used to know." He spats.

"Oh, come on. I'm Zuho—we love one another-." He flinches as Rowoon approaches him and kicks him in the stomach, making him gag.

"I used to love you." His eyes are darker, and he leaves the older boy alone - taking Hwiyoung to his room.