Chapter Nine: Discovery

Hwiyoung held in his breath, quiet. He didn't know what to say, what to do for that matter. He just watches Rowoon tend to his wound, stitching up his cut palm, watching him wrap a bandage around his hand to apply some pressure to it.

"I'm sorry," Rowoon breathes out, looking up at the younger boy to lock eyes with him. "I'm sorry." A small smile curls onto his lips, and he puts his hand on Hwiyoung's head, the smile fading.

Hwiyoung is at loss for words, at loss for breath. "It's not your fault, though." He blurts out, his cheeks receiving a faint pink tint as he grows embarrassed at Rowoon's stare.

"Still...," Rowoon keeps smiling, but it's weaker. "I just...wish I could keep him under control. He left this place because I refused to be with him, and I figured he'd come back—but he didn't. Until...yeah." His heart aches, and he shakes his head.

Hwiyoung stays silent, beginning to watch Rowoon stand up and leave. He felt emptiness swallow him whole, and he extended his arm out to reach out to him, for he finally felt like someone genuinely worried over him. "W-Wait."

Rowoon looks back, raising his eyebrow, "Yes?"

"...C-Can...nevermind, I'm being stupid," Hwiyoung laughs weakly, pulling his knees up to his chest while his arms hugged his legs. He rests his head against his knees, "Just forget it...sorry."

Rowoon grows concerned, and he walks over - sitting besidd him. "No, say it. I don't care what it is."

"Really?"

"Yes."

"...I feel like, like I can consider you a friend." Hwiyoung licks his lips, looking at Seokwoo through the corner of his eyes.

"How so?" Rowoon asks, curious.

"...I-I don't have a friend back home. They all make fun of me," Hwiyoung feels his chest tighten, "because I'm a freak."

"How are you a freak???" Rowoon grows perplexed. "You're just a human." He says.

"A human who can see lines around people in either light grey, red, black or dark red." Hwiyoung murmurs softly, growing hesitant. "T-These are used to detect Death and its path..."

"That," Rowoon gets silent, pressing his lips into a thin line as he thinks, but he sighs, "not gonna lie that sounds pretty overwhelming."

Hwiyoung looks at him, raising his head, "It is!" He huffs. "That's all the people cared about. They wanted me to check on the ill, if they're dying and all that crap!"

"Well, at least you weren't kicked away from the village." Rowoon adds.

"I... yeah, true." Hwiyoung exasperates, a low raspberry resonating off his lips.

"Hm, we can be friends." Rowoon smiles softly, noticing the small shock on Hwiyoung's face. "It'd be nice...to have a new friend." He chuckles.

Hwiyoung nods eagerly, "P-Please...I-I just want a true friend, that's all I want."

"Then I shall be that friend." Seokwoo messes up his hair.

***

"Ya, Inseong," Dawon whines, stepping arduously as he untangles his legs from vines and leaves that got stuck to him. "Slow down!"

Inseong seethes as he turns to face him, snapping, "I saw someone walk somewhere-! Look!" He runs off, being followed quickly by Taeyang and Chani.

Dawon groans, annoyed, and he runs off - following them, almost tripping.

"It's a building."