𝑡𝑤𝑜

starsky, hutch and phoenix!

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

        SCOTT MCCALL STILL HAD A PHOTOGRAPH of himself and his two best friends framed on his bedside table. When Lennon walked into his room, the familiar aesthetic instantly caught her eye. The frame captured a memory from when the friends were ten years old. It was Halloween and Lennon's mother had insisted on getting a picture of the three best friends before they went trick or treating. That was the night Scott and Stiles had shown up at her door dressed as Starsky and Hutch; Stiles was wearing Hutch's iconic brown leather jacket and blonde wig whilst Scott wore Starsky's woolly jumper and signature shades. Lennon felt left out. There was no third protagonist alongside the two detectives in the television series and so opening her front door whilst she stood there with her fake wings and orange makeup dressed as a phoenix, Lennon frowned.

        Whilst waiting for her mum to grab the camera, Stiles asked her why she was so upset. "There's no third detective." Realizing that the girl felt like a third wheel, and had for the past five years they had all been friends, the goofy boy ensured her that this wasn't and never had been the case. "Yes there is," he smiled warmly and gestured to the outfit she was wearing "it's Starksy, Hutch and Phoenix and it always will be". Lennon's mother then came back with her camera to see Lennon standing in the middle of the two boys. The ten year old girl sent a big grin to the lens of the camera; she felt safe and secure in the middle of her two favorite people in the world.

        Lennon smiled fondly at the memory, remembering just how inseparable the three were. After that night, the three would be obsessed with the seventies television show. They would watch repeats after school, likening themselves to the characters and even going as far as to build their own toy replica of Starsky's Ford Gran Torino. As they got a little older, Stiles would give his two best friends walkie talkies and whenever he would get news of cases his father had been called to he would say "Zebra Three" in the walkie talkie, just like the two detectives in the show did. The friends would then make it a habit to meet and come up with an explanation to what they'd heard, explaining their theory to the Sheriff before he himself had an opportunity to come up with his own. That was their favorite game to play; Starsky, Hutch and Phoenix - they believed it was preparation for when the friends would take over the world together someday.

        "Lennon?" The voice took the girl away from her trip down memory lane. She discreetly wiped a tear from her eye before turning around to see the familiar face. Lennon grinned as she ran into the arms of her best friend who she'd not seen in far too long.

        "Hiya, Scotty." After a few moments of suffocating each other, the two pulled away from their embrace and looked at each other before finding more words to say.