Detention before Christmas

Harry was eating his toast quickly because he got up late and had potions first.
"Harry slow down! You're going to get a stomach cramp!" Hermione said. "You and Ron have to stop staying up late playing wizard's chess! It's a silly game!"
"You're only saying that because I'm better than you," Ron said as he stuffed a sausage into his mouth.
"Disgusting. I'm going to class." Hermione got up and marched out of the great hall.
"She's just jealous Ron," Harry said as he looked over at Ron.
"I know."

Harry and Ron hurried into the potions room and sat beside Hermione.
"Looks like we made it on time!" Ron cheered.
"Good because you won't want detention with Professor Snape two days before Christmas break," Hermione said as she lay out her quill and parchment on the table.
Just as Harry was unpacking his Quill and Parchment, Snape came into the potions classroom.
"Today you will be making a simple potion and the recipe is on the board. Before you get started I will be collecting last nights essay on the uses of Lady's Mantle."
Harry's insides flipped. "Ron! I forgot to do the essay!" Harry whispered as Snape started collecting essays.
"Harry! You should have copied off Hermione before class!"
"I Couldn't because my scar really hurt this morning so I lay in bed for an extra half hour!"
"Well maybe you can-" Ron couldn't finish his sentence because Snape arrived at their table.
"Mr Weasley and Mr Potter, do you have your essays for me?"
Harry jumped in his seat and turned to face His teacher. Snape was smirking as if he knew that Harry didn't do his essay yet.
"Right here sir," Ron said as he handed Snape his essay.
"And you Potter?"
"I- I don't have it." Harry said and looked down at the floor.
"Well, well, well did Potter think he was to good for a school essay? Detention tonight at 8!"
Draco and a few other Slytherins snickered at the next table.
Harry heart thumped in his throat and his ears burned. He looked up and saw a couple class mates quickly turn away pretending they weren't watching.
"Well what did I say about avoiding detention before Christmas?" Hermione said as she got up to grab her ingredients.
Harry pulled out his parchment and quill and started copying down the potion ingredients. His face was still heated with embarrassment and anger. Harry hated Snape since he first met him. Harry can still remember the sorting hat saying he would do good in Slytherin. He remembers looking over at Snape who had greasy hair and wore a scowl on his face. He remembered how everyone told him that no one from Slytherin hasn't turned bad, and then proceeded to beg the hat to put him in Gryffindor. Harry hasn't regretted his actions especially after finding out Snape HATED Harry. Harry had no reason for Snape to hate him and that's what made him hate Snape back.

After dinner in the great hall, Harry, Ron, and Hermione went to the library to continue searching for Nicolas Flamel. They sat at a table with piles of books in front of them. Harry flicked through a rather large book about famous healers while he thought about his upcoming detention. Harry hadn't had detention with Snape before. He hoped Snape wouldn't make him eat frogs or poison him.
"What's wrong Harry?" Ron whispered over to Harry.
"I'm just thinking about detention with Snape. I hope I make it out alive."
"If you don't I'll make sure Draco doesn't come to your funeral."
"Thanks Ron." Though it it made Harry laugh, it didn't help with Harry's nerves.

When Madame Pince kicked them out of the library Harry waved a sad goodbye to his friends and headed down to the dungeons. As he walked down his stomach had butterflies and his heart thumped louder the closer he got to Snape's office. Harry hoped he would make it out of detention alive.
Harry knocked on Snape's door and waited as he heard his heart thumping in his ears.
"Come in," he finally heard Snape say. Harry walked in cautiously while looking around. He saw jars of weird creatures and potions with strange consistencies on shelves all over the room. At the end of the room was Snape's desk. There was a stack of parchment and a caldron on top of his desk.
"Good evening Potter. We will head over to my classroom where you will be serving your punishment." Snape said as he sat behind his desk grading the essays from Harry's class. Harry's heart skipped a beat when he saw what Snape was grading.
Snape picked up the papers and stood up and made his way across his office to the door.
"Follow Potter," Snape snapped.
Harry quickly caught up to Snape. They walked into the classroom and Snape put the papers on his desk, then walked over to a stack of cauldrons.
"Normally I clean these with magic but since you have earned yourself a detention, you have saved me the trouble and you will be cleaning them by hand. You must clean all of them before you leave."
Harry nodded and then Snape walked over to his desk to grade the essays. Harry looked at the stack of cauldrons. There must have been fifty or more! It would take Harry all night! Harry picked up the sponge that was sitting next to them and got to work. Harry's hand started cramping up half way through and his straight black hair kept creeping over his eyes. Snape must really hate me, Harry thought to himself as he scrubbed hard on a stubborn spot.
When Harry finally finished the last cauldron it was midnight. Harry signed with relief as his cramping hand let go of the sponge.
"Professor Snape? I'm finished."
Snape looked up at Harry and then at the clock on the wall. He got up and walked over to the cauldrons. Snape analyzed the cauldrons closely for a few minutes.
Harry's scar suddenly started burning.
"Ah!" Harry said suddenly.
"What is it Potter?"
"Nothing. Sorry.."
"Okay you cleaned them enough that I will let you go. But if you get detention again you will have to scrub even more cauldrons and put them away. Understood? Or is that to complicated for you to understand Potter?"
"Understood sir." Harry said trying not to talk back and earn himself another detention.
"Good. Now you may leave."
As Harry left the potions classroom and saw Professor Quirrell was standing by the door.
"Oh! Professor Quirrell! I just finished my detention, I'm not wandering around after curfew."
Quirrell was about to say something back when Snape came out of the classroom.
"Quirrel... what are you doing here? Potter get a move on!"
Harry quickly walked out of the dungeons and back to his common room. He saw Ron and Hermione waiting for him in the empty common room.
"Harry! You're alive!" Ron jumped out of his seat by the fire.
"Barley! I ran into Quirrell on my way out and Snape seemed really mad about it and told me to leave."
"That's weird. At least Snape didn't poison you."
"I was sure I wasn't coming out alive."