When Words Fail

This is a song-fic, JSYK. :) Italics are song lyrics.
***

Damian Wayne paced around nervously around his room, glancing down at the single rose he had in his hand.

I picked this flower
Right over there
Is where it grew
And I don't really like it
But it made me think of you
Because it's pretty
Is what I'm trying to say
And you are also pretty
But I like you anyway

There was a lump in his throat and a weight on his chest. He had never felt this way about anyone before. Sure, he had dated a few girls before, but he never had a connection with any of them. He never loved any of them.

He and Mar'i had known each other for ten years. They were best friends, and now, at twenty-two years old, they still are. But Damian was in love with her. He had kept this to himself for a few years. But his affections for her had grown so strong that he knew he had to tell her.

But how?

So please accept this flower
With its petals and a stem
Which represent my feelings
And tells you how..
Oh man I'm in trouble

Damian had never been in love before. How would he tell Mar'i without embarrassing himself or her?

When words fail
What will I do?
When words fail
How will she know how I feel?
When words fail
Will I fail too?

Thoughts raced around in his head. Was a rose too cliché? What if she didn't feel the same? Would he be ruining their friendship forever?

Damian stopped himself. He needed to calm down. He thought of what he might say to her.

"H-hey, Mar'i," Damian said to his bedroom, imagining she was there. "H-how are you, first of all? Good? Uh, it's good for me too. I am well. Um... you look very nice this evening. You're dress really brings out the color of your eyes... So, I was wondering if maybe you'd like to go on patrol with me or— Oh where am I going with this?" Damian interrupted himself and let out a frustrated sigh.

When words fail
What will I do?
When words fail
How will she know how I feel?
When words fail
Will I fail too?

Do I have a snowball's chance?
Are my prospects just too grim?
I spent my life stuck in the mud
Now I'm crawling out on a limb

Damian allowed himself to fall backwards onto his bed. He stared up at the ceiling and thought about Mar'i. About the way she'd bite her lip when she was nervous, or how her hair always fell perfectly into place without her even trying. And about how kind she is. She was one of the only people who put up with his behavior. She didn't care if he acted like an arrogant brat. She was still his friend. She knew that wasn't truly him. She understood him.

Damian jolted up in realization. She understood him.

If words fail
She'll know what I mean
If words fail
She'll just take my hand
She sees me like no one else has
If words fail
She'll understand
She'll understand

He jumped off his bed, grabbed the rose, and raced out of the manor.

He soon found himself knocking on her apartment door. The door opened, revealing the beautiful dark-haired girl Damian had fallen in love with.

"Hey, Dami," Mar'i smiled. "Are...you okay? You're kinda out of breath."

Damian held up the rose and handed it to her. Mar'i took it, looking flattered, confused, and surprised all at once.

"Mar'i, I..." Damian started. He couldn't get the rest of the words out. He looked down at his feet, embarrassed.

A small smile spread across Mar'i's lips. She took his hand and he looked up at her. "It's okay," she told him.

Damian took a deep breath and looked her in the eyes. "I love you."

Mar'i's smiler grew wider. She wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him.

She'll understand.