Chapter 8

After getting our lunch, Aubree and I sat on a table and we were joined by Rielle, Shyla and Fariha. They all talked a bit about how their lessons went and then they turned the conversation towards me.

"So Eliana, how's the assessment going?" asked Fariha.

"Um...It's okay" I replied shortly wanting to end the conversation so that everyone's attention could be diverted away from me because I had being the centre of attention.

"Care to elaborate? If you want to, of course" said Aubree.

"Nothing much really happened. I may have messed up the gymnasium. I found out that I am telepathic and my elemental power is water" I replied while summarising what happened.

"My elemental power is water as well so we will definitely be in the same lessons. If you would like, I could also give you some tips since you are new to all of this," Rielle said to me with a smile on her face.

"Really? Thanks, I would appreciate that," I replied, grateful that she was willing to help me. Having someone help me would definitely allow me to catch up with everyone.

"Okay hold on, we are not just going to skip past what you just said, "Shyla said with a determined look.

"Shit," I mentally cursed. I had hoped that they wouldn't focus on that. So, I looked at her and decided to feign confusion. "What do you mean?" I asked while frowning.

"How did you mess up the gymnasium?" asked Aubree.

"It's nothing bad. I may have got a bit upset and then I may have made all the bleachers fall to one side of the gymnasium without knowing. But, I think everything is fine because Ms Williams fixed it" I said rushing out the explanation and then all looked at me shocked.

"Oh wow, well that's something. This means that your powers are strong" said Shyla.

"Yah definitely. Are both your parents mythical?" Aubree asked.

"No, just my mother. Why?" I replied wondering where this conversation is going.

"Well you have two powers which is uncommon for a half-breed and they're really strong, " replied Aubree who was looking at me sceptically.

"Oh" was all I managed to say because I was very confused.

Then Rielle said, "If your elemental is water, that means your mother is a water elemental who is very strong so I might know her. What's her name?"

I was going to answer but then suddenly the bell rung indicating that it was the end of lunch. I told them that I only had my assessment with Mr Harrow left. They told me that since I only had one assessment left, I would finish early because their training lessons finish at 6pm. We each went our separate ways after saying we would see each other later.

I went back to the gymnasium and only found Ms Williams and Mr Harrow so I guess the other teachers went back for their lessons.

Mr Harrow asked, "So, Eliana, do you know anything about self-defence?"

"I can't fight. I don't want to fight" was all I managed to say while panicking. I am a person who hates confrontation and drama so I always keep to myself so that I can avoid fighting or arguing.

"Well, you're going to have to learn how to protect yourself. In my classes, you will learn how to fight using your body, a weapon and your powers. Blakewall high school is no place for cowards. My class is no place for cowards. Am I clear, Eliana?" Mr Harrow said while I replied with a weary "yes, sir".  His stiff posture and assertive voice made me scared of how strict he is. I already know I am going to struggle in his class because I hate anything physical hence why I prefer being unknown in school is order to reduce the possibility of me taking part in a confrontation.

"Now that assessments of your powers, I will train you to use your powers. However, keep in mind that anything you learn in my class will only be used in self-defence. If you are caught using your powers to harass or provoke any other students, there will be dire consequences. Also, since you have joined the school late, you will be assigned a partner who has the same ability as you, so that they can tutor you. This will help you catch up with the rest of the students" he said while getting nods of yes from me after each sentence he says.

He continued with "I can already tell that you are going to struggle since you barely have any control over your abilities but this is only due to you having just discovered them. This means that you have to work twice as hard as everyone else to catch up. It will be hard but you just have to push through. Now, follow me to the administration block so that you can get your schedule and timetable." To say I was shocked was an under-statement. As I followed him in silence, I couldn't help but dwell on the fact Mr Harrow who looks and sounds very scary was...kind of...nice and sympathetic towards me. However, I couldn't ignore everything else he said. It was going to be hard and very challenging but I'm doing this to make my mom proud. She suggested this school for me to attend so she must have thought that it was the best option for me so I am willing to put in the work and make her proud.