Chapter VII

(le cheap divider)

Lucy and Merlin introduced the project and goal of the company and then moved onto applications. They called out every person, their book, and if they were present.  Two people weren't present due to sickness and family situations.

Afterward, they went around the room, giving a brief summary of their book that had already been written.  It had been part of the boring writing exercises they had gone through. Conner watched each of the people, in turn, present their idea.  When it came to be his turn, which was soon since his last name started with a 'B'. He stood up and presented his idea thoughtfully.  He sat down after doing so and looked to Bree for reassurance.  She nodded and gave a vigorous thumbs-up.

A few turns later it was Bree's turn.  Not to Conner's surprise, she presented her idea perfectly, not slipping on a single word, and she read with passion in her voice.  Conner thought it was beautiful.  He would read her books any day.

(le cheap divider)

The day ended early and they were sent away with the assignment to write the rest of the day.  Conner went back to the hotel and did as told. He kept writing and didn't eat dinner, this time because of not noticing the time, not having time. He wrote into the night until his eyelids grew heavy and his laptop begged to be charged. He gave in and rolled over to plug his laptop in. He was asleep in a moment. 

He woke the next morning, the same time as last, and got ready the same as yesterday. He was done eating breakfast and getting dressed in a reasonable time.  He made his way to the Williams Press building, the sites of New York still not ceasing to amaze him.

He got to the conference room earlier than the other three mornings, but Bree was already there.  He approached her and saw she was already set up and writing.

"Someone's late," she said without turning around to see who it was before speaking.

"How are you here so early?"

"I drove," she said and swiveled around in her chair and around the divider wall to Conner. 

"Hey, some of us from this conference are going to a party tonight," she said. "Wanna come?"

From the look on her face, she laughed.

"There won't be much drinking. Plus, it's at a friend's house, not a club. Nothing to worry about." she said in reassurance.

"I've never been to a party like that,"

"Then you have to go!" she said excitedly and that was that.  It was decided.

(le cheap divider)

The rest of the day was full of interviews and individual conferences. In the in-between times, they were assigned to write, so there was no time to talk. They finished later than the other day, but not too late.  After they were done Bree swiveled around to see Conner packing up his stuff.

"You ready?" she asked, grabbing her stuff and standing up.

"Sure,"

Bree pulled her keys out of the outer pocket of her backpack, tossed them up, and caught them in one swift motion.

"I'm driving," she said, winking at Conner.

(le cheap divider)

Bree led a blushing Conner down to the parking lot.  She led him to her small four-seater convertible. 

"This is your car?" Conner asked in awe.  He didn't know any other just-out-of-college students with convertibles.

"It's my sisters," she said and hoped in the front seat, the top up. "She has four, so she doesn't care."

"Wow," Conner whistled as he sat down next to Bree in the front. "I don't think I could not care about a car this nice."

"Well, she married well, so she doesn't worry about money."

"Oh,"

Bree started the car and started driving them to the party, the wind blowing her hair behind her in a cool way.

(le cheap divider)