Chapter X

(le cheap divider)

It was the final day of the conference.  Result day. The day when they would find out whether they would be published or not. Conner arrived on time, getting there earlier than Bree.

Bree came in a second before she would have been late.  She went over to her desk and yawned. She winked at Conner when he looked at her, confirming his suspicion.  She was tired from staying up late last night.

"Alright, everyone," Lucy said, hushing the last spurts of conversation. "I know you are all excited for this day and what it means.  But, I have to warn you.  Not everybody got in, and if you didn't, that does not mean you are a bad writer, it just means that you are not what the company is looking for right now.  But, come back next year, we'll have more slots then!"

Professor Charlie went to the front and handed her the results. Conner and Bree both held their breath as she pulled out the results and glanced over them.

"Okay," she said and started with congratulations to all who got in and then got into the results. There were lots of names before Conner's or Bree's would show up.  Each time someone was chosen, everyone cheered. Then Lucy called on Bree. Her whole face lit up and she squealed. Conner clapped the hardest for her, he knew how much she wanted this.  A few more names were called with lots more clapping.  Those who hadn't been called on were on the edge of their seats to know if they were to be published or not. Lucy called out one last name and put her sheet down.

"Those are all the names," she said and Conner's heart sank. Bree put a loving hand on his shoulder. Lucy walked through the rows of desks to the back of the room and exited.

(le cheap divider)

Bree volunteered to take Conner to the airport that day.  She drove him to the hotel, waited for him to pack up, and took him to the airport.  Conner felt deflated.  But he got over it quickly, he was more excited for Bree.  She had been submitting for longer than him, so this was a bigger accomplishment for her.  She was elated and he was elated for her.

She pulled into the drop-off lane at the airport and stopped at the curb. She popped the trunk.  Conner didn't leave the car for a moment.  He had just bonded so well with this girl, to leave her now with no assurance of ever seeing her again was hard.

"Oh!" she said and pulled out her phone. "I almost forgot," she said and pulled something up on her phone. she typed for a moment, then stopped. A message popped up on Conner's phone. He looked at it and saw that it was the same message Bree had just sent.

"How'd you get my number?"

"I glimpsed at the roster for the conference," she said.

"Well, thanks," Conner didn't really know what to say.  He got out of the car and grabbed his suitcase.  He came back to the front and got his bag.

"Thanks for the ride," he said. "Bye, Bree,"

"Bye, Conner,"

Conner started walking toward the airport entrance but Bree's voice stopped him.

"Hey, Conner!" she called.

He turned around and looked at her.  Their eyes locked.

"Call me."

(le cheap divider)

Update! Sequel is now out! The Writing Interference.