Chapter IX

(le cheap divider)

Bree got out of the car and Conner did the same. He peered up at the Statue in awe.  He had seen it from far away, but up close it was better. Bree silently led him to the ticket booth, struck up a conversation with the worker, whom she obviously knew. He let them in and Bree led Conner up to the torch. She exited onto the top and went to the edge. She sat down and let her feet dangle over the side. Conner went to the edge and did the same, trying hard not to think about how far up he was.

"Why did you bring me here?"

"I thought you could use some fresh air, and this was the best place I could think of."

"Thank you,"

There was a comfortable silence between the two as they just sat there, enjoying the view. Bree's leg might've brushed Conner's as she swung it, but neither cared. They waited for the night to come before either spoke.

"Where did you think of your story?" Bree asked. Conner chuckled.

"I don't think you would believe me if I told you the truth," he said with a smile, turning to face her.

"Try me,"

And so he did.  All through the night he told her his story, and to his complete surprise, she believed it. She didn't question it's authenticity, she just knew it was true.

"Good night, Conner," Bree said, standing up. Conner stood up beside her. She kissed his cheek and walked back to her car.

(le cheap divider)

Conner walked back to his hotel room early that morning.  Bree and him had sat atop the torch of the Statue of Liberty for hours, telling each other their pasts.  Perhaps it was the early morning, or some other odd force, but they felt completely honest with each other.  They told each other every little thing and thought form their adventures of each childhood. Conner's obviously more interesting, gaining more reaction from his audience of Bree.

She made a very good audience in his opinion.  She didn't question what he said, neither did she contradict.  She accepted it as fact, as he did hers. She accepted his odd history, and he accepted her tough one.  They made a good match and grew very comfortable around each other.

(le cheap divider)