| 14 |

▬▬ fourteen; the christmas without them

⋆.。.:* ☆:**:.

LAUREN FELT LIKE SHE WAS TRESPASSING. Even though the Weasley family was like her own, and Sirius Black like an uncle, she felt unwelcomed to Grimmauld Place. But it wasn't the people that didn't want her there, it felt like the spirit of the house was glaring at her every time she moved. She felt watched by someone who didn't want her to be there and it made her anxious. And not only did that weight her down but it was Christmas morning, her first Christmas without her brother and her first Christmas without her father. It truly melted into her bones now, a life without them.

Lauren sat down with Hermione around the kitchen table, smiling widely at Mr. Weasley who seemed happier than ever. Sure, he looked very bad with scratches and cuts all over his face and he was seated in a wheelchair—but he was alive. It bothered her a lot remembering the dream, the dream where she was the one who had tried to kill him, but after talking everything through with Harry and how he felt the same, she was able to push that guilt aside.

When Harry entered the room quietly Mrs. Weasley walked up to him with a red box and gave him a hug and kiss on the cheek. The boy smiled at the red scarf she had made him and Lauren walked up to him, standing opposite the table.

"Merry Christmas," she said with a smile on her face.

"Merry Christmas, Laure'." He noticed the sadness that lingered behind her mask of brightness, but he knew how she felt—and she knew that he understood how she felt. "What did you get?" He asked and eyed the package by Hermione's.

"Another navy blue sweater, she most knows how much I like 'em."

"Ron told her a few years back. I remember how happy she was when he told her that you wore the sweaters she made so often," Harry said as he sat down with them. Lauren smiled and glanced at the woman that was moving around with the food in her hands. "Personally I think they're sticky."

"Yeah, me too, don't get how you always wear 'em," Ron said peaking into the conversation.

"She's being polite," Fred said, putting one arm around Lauren's shoulders—a quiet normal act for him to do.

"I really enjoy them, you can feel the love," Lauren said with a grin.

"Raise your glasses," Mr. Weasley said from the edge of the table as Sirius Black also entered the room. "To Mr. Harry Potter, without whom I would not be here." Lauren could tell how uncomfortable Harry felt when everyone raised their glass in his name and cheered lightly, but he deserved it. . . whatever it was because he had a nightmare about Mr. Weasley's accident or not, but he needed appreciation.

Later that day when the radio ran out of Christmas songs and the oldest and youngest had fallen asleep, Lauren sat in the couch by the weak fire. She didn't dare to fall asleep, the past has a way to sometimes repeat itself and that scared her awake every time she came close to rest. The creeping feeling of being watched never disappeared and whenever the wind would make small sounds against the windows, a shiver rose down her spine.

The walls were caving in and pressuring her lungs to breath faster, she was almost panting until a hand landed on her tense shoulder and brought her back to the calmness of the silent living room. Nothing was caving in, nothing was moving. She turned her gaze away from the fire and met Fred's furrowed eyebrows.

He sat down beside her and tilted his head at her and asked, "you alright?"

"Yeah," she said shortly.

The much taller boy shook his head and took her hand in his, "don't lie to me, Bug. You're shaking." She smiled at the old nickname he gave her when they were little. How Lauren and Fred had become such good friends no one seemed to remember. A two-year-older boy had brought her along on a prank and kicked off as partner's in crimes ever since. Ron would always be bitter about it, he didn't like the idea of Fred getting too close with her because Ron was so overprotective of Lauren.

"I'm just tired, Freddie," she said. But he knew a fake smile when he saw one.

"Then why aren't you sleeping? Planning mischief?"

"No, I'm just not tired. . . well, I'm tired but not sleepy, you get it?" She chuckled when he chuckled and shook his head.

"You are so odd, Lauren," he sighed and leaned back on the couch. "So, Harry and Cho? Are they like dating now?"

She shrugged her shoulders, "honestly, I have no idea. He's so awkward so I'm surprised that she even managed to kiss him." They laughed at that, knowing that Harry wouldn't have been hurt by it because he'd know they were right.

"You found yourself someone with that charm yet, Freddie?"

"I get one every week—" She cut him off with a disgusted face and threw a pillow at him.

"You're gross."

"I'm only joking, Bug. Come on, you know me, don't ya? I'd never use a girl for my own pleasure," he said winking. "But you and Malfoy? What's that about?"

She stood up, "and suddenly I was sleepy." He grabbed her arm gently and pulled her back to the couch though, his expression changing to a deeply concerned one.

"Bug, don't get with types like Draco Malfoy. They're only looking to hurt you."

She shook her head, "Malfoy doesn't wanna hurt me. Anyways, we haven't been talking lately but that was my fault."

"But if he or anyone else would hurt you, you go directly to me? Got it?"

"Why?"

"I wanna' protect you, Bug." And in that moment she realized how close his face was, she could feel his exhales hit her skin.

▬▬ author's note ▬▬
this is just a filler chapter while i'm tired, I'll get back with the good content real soon promise!

[ last updated; 10/07/20 ]
stay safe ! stay tuned ! thank you <3