Chapter 35 - In the Mud (2)

"What?" Daziran said.

"It was Rantari," Valera said.

"What about Rantari?"

She scrutinised him as if he was a dullard. "They've been using him as a source of information for a decade, right? Wasn't he one of the few who knew the Key was hidden in Mistpeak?"

They were all struck dumb by this.

It made sense. If the Shaedri had gathered that information from anyone, it would've been someone Varzic had trained.

Removing herself from the Otterbonder, Ezil came forward and lay a hand on Shale's shoulder. Everyone knew what that meant. Thirteen-years-ago, when the Shaedri had gone to Mistpeak, they had done so on the word of Rantari. That had led to the slaughter of an entire village, including her parents.

That meant they were dead because of him.

Strangely, the anger was most evident on Valera's face.

But no, Shale told herself, as her own fury threatened to rise. He was manipulated, just another puppet like everyone else.

"What if it isn't just him?" Tershar asked.

"What do you mean?" Daziran asked.

"If it has one leader in Elorona, what if it has others? What if it has an influence on many people of power across the greatland."

Karlar's hand rose to his mouth. "You could start civil wars, ignite old feuds, and begin battles that seemingly crop up out of nowhere."

"I've wondered that since we started on the road, seeing all those burnt villages for myself," Daziran said. "Could it be the Shaedri, sowing the seeds of chaos? If there is an atmosphere of fear and uncertainty, then people will happily accept a power taking control to guide them."

"And yet you didn't see fit to share this theory with the rest of us?" Valera said.

"I was-"

"Don't you dare tell me you were waiting until we got to Naverun. Love of Bragan, Yase is dead. No more excuses. No more. You have kept far too much from us."

It was true. Her uncle had never stressed the full extent of what they were up against. Part of Shale could understand his secrecy, as so much information had spread in the past and created even more problems. He probably wanted to operate with just Rantari and him for as long as possible, to make amends for past mistakes.

But they were meant to trust each other.

If they'd been transparent from the start, maybe this could have been avoided.

Nobody seemed more hurt from these hidden truths and deceptions than one man.

"I put my faith in you," Karlar said.

"I never asked you to do that," Daziran said. "I never once pretended to be something I'm not. You're the one who raised me up on a pedestal."

"Because that's where you belong. A man with your gifts should be an icon of truth and justice. You should be doing wonderful things for the realm." He gazed over his shoulder to Tershar. "I should have listened to you. You were always right about him. You were right about me."

Her lips drew into a thin line as if to indicate she took no satisfaction from this. "You must not blame yourself, Karlar. All men are flawed. That's why we have religions. So that we may put our faith into creeds instead of flesh."

"Now what?" Ezil said, throwing up her hands. "Before, we couldn't trust half of this backwards greatland because they despise magic. Now the other half could be Shaedri puppets for all we know."