Chapter 59 - Farewell

The days after their meeting were similar to those spent crossing the Arinoa. Life was suspended in a state of transition.

Everyone spent their mornings, afternoons, and evenings assisting in the clearing and rebuilding of the city, or with any other tasks that required extra hands, then spent their nights around roaring fires, eating, drinking, listening to music, and telling stories. That was grieving the Eloronian way, or so Shale was told. Life was a celebration and the dead would not want them to be wallowing.

The daily ceremonies held by the Lightservers were intended to be a release for the other kind of emotions. That was when there were hugs and tears in equal measure as all came together.

In general, there was a powerful spirit among the folk. Many hands put to one task could accomplish remarkable things, even across a short span of time. Tents were being torn down every day as the camp shrank and people found new living arrangements. There were some compromises though. Families who once owned their own homes or apartments had to pair together in some cases. But there was barely a fuss made. Everyone knew sacrifices had to be made before they could prosper again.

Day by day, Starstone was beginning to look more like itself.

Rumours were rife around camp as a daily slew of discoveries were coming out of that chasm that'd swallowed the Areathellum. The Stargazers made it their prerogative to explore the space. It wasn't just one cavernous vault, as Shale had imagined, but it was just the beginning of an endless system of tunnels, similar to the undercity beneath Urvark.

Thus far, they'd found far more than had ever been found in of Urvark though. There were Magizyra weapons and armour, books, maps, and trinkets. Everyone suspected these could lead to a greater understanding of their lost magic.

"And who knows," Karlar said, clad in his new golden robe that marked him as the High Stargazer. "That could lead us to finding even more vaults across Yim. It could take us into a brand new age of enlightenment. The maps are strange, they're proving just as difficult to decipher as the language, but they could even increase our knowledge of Yim itself."

Shale, however, couldn't share his enthusiasm, especially after coming face to face with what'd risen out of that first vault. Some things were hidden and locked away for a reason.

Of course she wanted answers and they had to embrace progress, but why look to the past for that? Even though the Magizyra were mostly good, unlocking one wrong vault from the wrong sort could put everyone in danger.

But such things weren't dwelling on.

Perhaps recent events were making her overcautious.

The day of Ezil and Bandor's departure grew ever closer. Although Shale tried to push the thought of it out of her mind, it didn't stop it from arriving as swiftly as she feared.

It was a cold evening as they marched out to the docks. A feeling of unreality had descended over Shale; it grew with every step. She'd become so used to having the siblings as her constant friends, but this was it. This was the start of a new life, a new phase, one that she found equally difficult to anticipate.

As their company stood in the shadow of The Aqua Arrow, Ezil and Bandor awaited them.

Karlar approached first and placed his hands on their shoulders. "I'm going to miss you. You've been like a son and daughter to me."

"I'd say you've been like a father," Ezil said, "But that was more of a Daziran duty. Certainly, you made an excellent mother."

Bandor laughed.

As did Karlar. He laughed more than he ever had since Shale had known him. "This is not the end, little ones. I'm sure we'll meet again."

"I'm sure we will, when you're Haeryn and ruling the greatland with an iron fist."

When Karlar made way, Valera stepped up to take her turn.

"I must say, I didn't have the highest opinion of either of you at the start," the Ravenbonder said.

"Really?" Ezil asked, feigning shock. "But you hid it so well."

"You grew on me though."

"We're like a fungus that way."

"Oh shut up and give me a hug."

Laughing, they both came together. Valera lingered on each of them, whispering something before letting go.

Next came Alashar and Shale.

She felt a churning in her core.

Ezil went to the easier conversation first. She placed a hand on the side of Alashar's arm. "You'd better take good care of her, you hear me, boy?"

"I'll try my best."

"Good. Else you'll make an enemy with very sharp teeth."

He chuckled nervously.

At the same moment, Bandor wrapped his arms around Shale. "Goodbye, Firefly." His whisper was gentle.

Shale was shocked to hear it, but didn't want to make too big of a fuss about it. "Take care of yourself, okay? I'm going to miss trying to work out what you're communicating by your crazy hand motions. You should speak more often."

He grinned then went to exchange pleasantries with Alashar.

That was when Ezil approached her.

At the sight of her friend already in floods of tears, Shale was so caught off guard that her own eyes welled up and her throat tightened. What was this all about? Ezil was supposed to be the strong one.

Ezil wiped Shale's cheeks. "Oh, don't be such a baby, Miss Etaria."

Shale was unable to think of something clever right now, so she just pulled her friend close. "I'm going to miss you so much you know? I'm not sure what I'll do without you."

"I'll miss you too. But you're going to be okay. You're not the same girl I met at that inn."

After a long stretch of holding each other, they forced themselves to let go, else be stuck there all night.

Otter was next in line, but rather than approaching, he stood there with his hands behind his back.

"Well aren't you going to say goodbye to them?" Valera asked.

He rubbed the back of his head. "I suppose I'd better. But it's not them I need to say goodbye to."

"What?" Valera said.

"I've been saying I'd see more of Yim someday since I was small." He stared out past the rippling waters of Shimmer Bay. "My land will fall to more capable men, who've likely been coping better in my absence. All I have left here are painful memories. I need a change."

"You're going with them," Shale said.

"I am."

There was an awkward pause.

Karlar strode forward. "Well..." He extended his hand. "Orian is an excellent place to begin your adventures, Master Otter, I wish you the very best."

"And you, Master Stargazer."

Shale, Valera, and Alashar came forward after that to give their hugs and well wishes.

As Shale saw how the Otterbonder retreated to stand next to Ezil, the way he was restraining himself from putting an arm around her, made her believe there was something more between the pair than mere travel companions.

And so it was that for the second time in her life, Shale was rooted to a coast, watching as her best friend boarded a ship and sailed away until it was swallowed by a distant horizon.

The biggest difference now was that she didn't have the vice grip of Zeera or the ridicule of her townsfolk behind her.

She had friends.

She had family.

Amid the tears, came a nice thought. She was not losing family. They were just spreading further, wider.