interlude

The little boy and his sister stand next to each. The mother persists on it. The cement pier is as white as it could be in the pictures and the mother is happy.

"Smile," she asks. "Say cheers."

"Cheers," the red haired teenager screams but the boy is quiet, frowning and looking away.

"Oh," the mother is saddened. "You didn't smile." The boy doesn't respond. He stays quiet. His sister glares at him and is angered.

"You're an idiot. I don't get why Mum and Dad decided to adopt you. Now we have to retake the picture because of you. You're a mistake. Everything you do is a mistake," the sister screams in frustration. Her mother chooses to keep quiet and the boy looks at her, his eyes filled with tears, begging for her to show him love.

And when he gets none, he runs away and down to a bridge and looks around at families, smiling and laughing together. It pricks the innocent mind and drives him to insanity. Why was he the flaw? Why was he the stain? Just because he was unwanted?

"I hate this," he bites his lips, the metallic taste of blood slowly drifts into his head, letting the warmth touch his lips, "I hate her. I hate this so much," and he hits his head against the steel railings over and over again repeating every word with venom till the skin breaks open and blood spills down his face. Hot, warm and comforting.

He doesn't care. All he knows is how much he hates his red haired sister.