Chapter 10: Under My Skin

Clara told me at lunch that day about Helena's casual approach to the Miles situation

Clara told me at lunch that day about Helena's casual approach to the Miles situation. From the sound, she wanted to see how things would go and she wasn't going to take a step until he took one first. First-year boys were new and fresh, and his interest in her might have been more of a desire to experience Renault in all its entirety.

She had a good head on her shoulders, and quite the charm to show up to the Fields wearing her uniform and his number painted on her cheek. Her light hair had been swept back, the navy paint standing out against her tan and blush when Miles ran out with the guys onto the grass.

Jimin wrinkled the blanket we sat on as he tucked his feet under him and whooped. Clara straightened it out and screamed for my brother. I clapped too, warming to the day and the idea of being outside as Miles smiled. Even from afar, his joy turned into mine and as the guys formed a hooting circle, he poured his energy into it, shouting as loud as any of us watching.

All of Renault found a way to crowd the grass outside the play area on blankets or in the bleachers. Even Yoongi and his friends leaned against the metal railing and squinted at their warmups.

"Do you see Ezra?" Jimin pointed to one of the guys in red shorts rather than blue. Without the scarf, Ezra seemed different altogether. More energy went into his high knees and stretching lunges than seemed possible.

"Is he on the team?" I asked.

"No, but they needed an extra man. I think he wants to join polo though." Jimin scratched behind his ear, his face lost in thought. "He seems athletic enough."

"You didn't recruit him for fencing?" I stifled a laugh.

Jimin chuckled anyway, shaking his head. "I didn't have to. He tried out, killed it, and then said he wanted to try the other clubs first."

Another figure plopped down next to me before I could respond. Without his ivory cloak Jin was just as majestic, his collared shirt still crisp under his loosened tie and his dress shoes polished as though he hadn't wandered through grass to get here. "Mind if I join you?"

"Of course not." I scooted over to give him more room.  He peered over his shoulder to another guest. The blanket appeared small as Hoseok took the final corner with a grin.

I smoothed down my skirt and crossed my legs. "Is today Sit With Melissa day?"

A voice behind the blanket answered. "What a boring holiday that'd be." Isadora's blazer was tied around her waist as she perched on the grass. Her scarlet headband was pretty in her silky hair. She tucked a loose strand of it behind her ear she faced strictly forward. "Sitting doesn't have sentimental value."

"It doesn't," Clara said, "but you could have sat emotionless anywhere else."

Isadora rolled her eyes a bit. "I can choose my company."

"Don't scare her when she's trying to be human," Hoseok said. "She'll never do it again."

As the others laughed, Jin leaned in close. "Thank you."