the confession

{Newt's POV}

Here I sat, at a table in a half broken down building just outside of the city. All of the people who where there have been very close friends with me for a long time. Some longer than others. One of them stood out though. Not because I'd known him the longest amount of time, but because his presence has impacted me the most.
His name is Thomas. He has espresso brown colored short hair, with eyes that matched this shade. He is about the same height as me, maybe even a tiny little bit shorter.
Ever since I first met him in the glade, I knew something about him was different. Because of this I had started hanging out with him a lot, slowly getting feelings for him. I chose to not accept my own emotions at the time, because Thomas was, and still is, a complete idiot. His curiosity often got the best of him, and he ended up in extremely dangerous scenarios. I couldn't bare to lose someone I admitted to loving. I was staring down at the table impatiently as I waited for Gally, Brenda and Thomas to stop arguing. We where on a mission to save our friend Minho from WICKED. WICKED had been torturing and testing him ever since he got taken there. All in hope for a cure to the deadly virus that had been rapidly spreading.
Thomas seemed to have other plans though. A girl by the name Teresa had betrayed us multiple times, and works for WICKED. Yet Thomas still insisted on keeping her safe. Almost like he had interest in her romantically.
Naturally, after all these years, I had worked up a fair amount of jealousy. You know what, no. That was an understatement. I had worked up so much jealousy that whenever I hear her name, I get extremely frustrated. Usually this wouldn't be a huge problem. I always played it of pretty well. But now I had reached my limit. "what are you afraid you're little girlfriend's gonna get hurt? hmm?" I said. Rage filled my eyes as i looked up at Thomas, who was walking around, pondering.

Thomas turned his head to me, with a confused look on his face.
My frustration had gotten so bad that i couldn't stop there.

"This has obviously never been just about rescuing Minho" I said, locking eyes with Thomas, who let out a soft "what're you- what're you talking ab-"
I stood up and faced him.

"Teresa" I said with a certain despise
lingering through the word.

"she's the only reason that Minho's even missing in the first place" I raised my voice a bit as I got closer to Thomas. He backed off.

"now we finally have an opportunity to get him back, and what? you don't want to, because of.. her?" My words speeding up the more i speak.

I kept walking towards Thomas, who was now close to a wall.

"because deep down inside you still care about her" I went on, caught up in the moment.

"just admit it"

"newt- i-"
"DON'T LIE TO ME" I yelled as i pushed him against the wall with all of my
strength.

"DON'T LIE .. TO ME"

I was so close i swear our noses touched. Adrenaline was rushing through me. I did not even realize what had happened till a few seconds later. i was staring into thomas's eyes, slowly noticing how close we where. I let him go and stepped back.

"i'm.. sorry"

Then i turned away to face the group, who where all staring in confusion and surprise. I never got riled up like this, especially not in front of people.

"i'm sorry-" I repeated to the group, before moving away and walking to the stairs. I went to the roof of the building and sat on the edge.

"well done you bloody shank.." I mumbled to myself.

{Thomas's POV}

I was still processing what had just happened. Newt, the boy i've been crushing on ever since the first day in the glade, just pushed me against the wall.. he was so close.. but not for the reason I wanted him to. He was yelling at me, because for some unknown reason he thought that I had feelings for Teresa. I mean seriously, Teresa? she betrayed us, and took our friend! plus, I'm not even into women, I'm gay as fuck, but he doesn't know that. Sometimes I wish I told him. Who knows what kind of relationship we could have had back in the glade. Unfortunately, I'm a pussy when it comes to relationships. Kind of weird when you consider I usually dive head first into danger without second thoughts.
Newt had just gone up the stairs. I glanced back at the group of people standing at the table. My crush on Newt had been so obvious from the beginning that basically everyone already knew without me even telling them. Gally rolled his eyes at me as Brenda nodded her head towards the stairs, signaling that I should go up there and talk to Newt. After a few seconds of consideration I walked up the stairs. As I reached the top of the building, I saw the terrifying, but beautiful view of the giant wall around the city. I looked around, and my eyes quickly fell on the slender boy sitting on the side of the building, legs dangling off the edge. He most likely heard me walk up to him, because I heard him softly start talking. "Why'd you follow me here" He said, seemingly distressed about something.

"Why wouldn't I, there's clearly something up" I said, in the hopes that he might tell me what is wrong. I had tried to stop worrying about him liking me back, but part of me still wants all of this to work out somehow.

"Well.. there's been a lot of bloody shit on my mind recently, you know, with the world ending and all that."
Honestly, I couldn't even figure out is that last bit was sarcasm or not, at the moment the world did look like it was near dying, but who knows, maybe there would be a cure one day.
I came a little closer and sat down on the ledge next to him, but not close enough to make it awkward. "Yea, but that's been going on for a long time, you seemed unusually mad back there" I looked at him. The golden sun made his face somehow look even more gorgeous than it already was.

Newt stayed silent for a few seconds.
"I guess I just couldn't hide this anymore"

"Hide what?" I asked, my curiosity through the roof.

Newt pulled up his sleeve to reveal a stick and poke tattoo that he had most likely made back in the glade because it had faded a little. The tattoo was a heart, with the Letters T and N inside of it. My face went red. Did he do this for a dare? Does he actually like me?
{Newt's POV}

I can't believe it. I just showed Thomas the stupid stick and poke i did as a dare back in the glade. I've always hidden it from the rest of the world, since i knew it meant more to me then the group of gladers who dared me to poke it permanently on my skin had intended. I looked at thomas. He had scooted closer to me without me realizing. And I could now see that his face was surprisingly very red. This gave me hope, maybe be did care after all. No. He couldn't. He cared for that stupid girl. Even though he really has no reason to. I looked away for a second, still clearly upset.
Then, I felt a warm strong hand on my shoulder. My heart skipped a beat. I didn't dare to look over at the boy sitting next to me, my face was too red. I was tensed up. This was a kind of nervousness I had never felt before.

"Newt" I heard him say softly.

I looked over at him in response, and fell deeply into his gorgeous brown eyes. My face was flushed with blush, but so was his. He looked back into my eyes and gave me a small, caring smile.

"I love you too" He said without hesitation.

A smile appeared on my face as butterflies fluttered in my stomach. I couldn't remember ever having felt this happy. This wasn't the type of happy you felt with friends. This was more, way more, than that.
I gently ran my hand through his hair and placed it on the side of his face. Then I leaned in and pressed my lips against his. He didn't seem hesitant in the slightest and kissed back right away. Seems like we had both been waiting for this moment to finally happen. We carefully got closer till the point that it felt like we where melting together. His chest was pressed against mine as I held him when we kissed.
The kiss went on for what felt like an eternity. Neither of us wanted it to end, but eventually we pulled away. We looked at each other for a while before looking off at the beautiful sunset before us. If it weren't for the world collapsing more and more every day, this view would be gorgeous.
Thomas laid his head on my shoulder. I had one arm around him, holding him close.

"So we're dating now?"

"I'm offended that you even ask, you bloody shank"