Chapter One: Her Audition

Shai P.O.V ~

My heart is racing. My knee keeps bouncing. I feel like there's a pit in my stomach. I'm so nervous. Jennifer is saying encouraging words to me but I'm too nervous to listen and frankly, I don't believe her when she says I'm going to get the role. Jen isn't going to audition she's just here for me. I'm thankful for that.

I'm the last one to go and in there now is Chloë Grace Mortez. We are also great friends and we don't let our career ruin our friendship. She comes out with a smile on her face.

"Good luck Shai." She says and hugs me.

"Thank you. And if I don't get it, I hope you do." I say and let go of the hug.

"Ya same here. You want me to wait and the three of us could get lunch?" She asks.

I look at Jen and she nods.

"Sure. Wish me luck." I say and head towards the door.

"Good luck!" Chloë and Jen both call.

I walk in and see three judges. The producer. The director. And the author, the one and only Veronica Roth. As well as two other actors, Maggie Q and Ashley Judd.

"You are Shailene Woodley, correct?" Veronica asks.

"Yes." I reply.

"Okay, so Shai, is that alright if I call you that?" Neil asks.

"Please do, a lot of people call me that." I say.

"Alright. So, you are going to do two scenes. The one where Tris finds out she's divergent, and the one where Tris' mom, Natalie, dies." Neil explains.

"Okay." I say.

"Maggie Q will be playing Tori Wu and Ashely Judd will be playing Natalie Prior." Neil explains. I nod.

"Start from right when Tris finds out she's divergent. Maggie will start." Veronica says.

"Get up." Maggie starts. "Your going out the back door before the supervisor comes."

"What was my result?" I say.

"Come on."

"What happened?"

"You're going to tell your family that the serum made you sick and I sent you home. Alright?"

"No but what was my result?"

"Abnegation." She pauses. "And Erudite. And Dauntless."

"Dauntless." I say in a faint whisper.

"Your results where inconclusive."

"But-th-tha-that's impossible, that doesn't make any sense."

"No, not impossible. Just extremely rare. They call it divergent." She pauses. "You can't tell anyone about this, not your parents. As far as the world is concerned, you received an Abnegation result, because, that is what I manually entered in."

"So what am I suppose to at the choosing ceremony? That was suppose to learn what to do. This was suppose to tell what faction to choose. The test. We're suppose to trust the test." I say.

"The test didn't work on you. You have to trust your self." Tori ends.

"That was good Shai." Veronica says.

"I'd be lying if I said I disagreed." Neil says.

"Thanks. Should I start the next scene?" I ask.

"Sure! Start from 'Okay, let's go'. But for this scene, we'll have Ashley lying on the ground like we would have in the real movie." Neil explains while Ashley gets up. I nod.

"Whenever your ready." Veronica says.

"Okay, let's go." I say. I see a 'lifeless Natalie' on the ground.

"Mom, mom, listen. Hey, it's okay. Mom, mom, mom. MOM! NO! MOM! MOM! MOM! MOM WAKE UP! MOM! MOM WAKE UP!" I hear gun sounds, guess that's my cue to leave. I pitch my self hard so it looks like I'm crying for this. "STOP STOP! I love you." I say and hug her and stand.

I wait for they're reaction. Veronica has watery eyes. It was that good?

"That was amazing Shai! How did you make yourself cry?" Neil asks.

"I just pitched myself." I said.

"That was so good." Veronica says wiping her eyes.

"So we'll call you in the next couple hours if you got it, and if you got it we'll need you to come back to help with other auditions." The producer, whom I still don't know the name of, says.

"Okay. Hopefully I'll see you soon." I say and leave.

"How do you think you did?" Jen asks right when I step onto the other side of the door.

"Okay I guess. I mean. I made Veronica cry if that's anything?" I say.

"Well hopefully that was good. And fingers crossed for either of you to get the part." Jen says.

"McDonalds anyone?" Chloë asks. We laugh and leave.