Chapter 6 : A Mother's Humble Touch

Jane's glare looked like it could burn through anything. Vidaj shivered at the thought of the one time he was on the receiving end of it. One day there was a boy named Harold who had hit Vidaj with a fruit colored filled water balloon. Embarrassed and angry, Vidaj exacted his revenge by using his shadows to bludgeon him with purple filled ink balloons that left him stained for days. When Jane found out he got scolded so much that he didn't talk to anyone for days. After that incident, Vidaj was convinced she was a mother trapped in a child's body, keeping everyone in line. Lana, on the other hand, had yet to notice Jane, instead she continued her celebration by prancing around the field.

After Vidaj took a seat in the bleachers behind home plate, he waited for what was sure to be a clash of two titans. If it were physically possible for emotions to be felt, then Jane's current state was the equivalent of the raging sun. Lana, however, was as cool as a soothing wind. Even so, Vidaj knew all too well that even a quiet, carefree girl like Lana had the ability to get just as angry as Jane when she was pushed.

The unsuspecting Lana was gathering flowers from the field when she noticed Jane. She turned back and waved them at her. "You know how much I hate flowers, but it's hard not to pick them up when they come from loving fans like the ones who showed up today. By the way, did you see that crowd? I expected a big turnout, but that crowd was huuuuge! And did you see how despondent all the Spartans looked? You could tell they were broken by the third inning!"

Her eyes were glued to Lana and her mouth sour. "Yeah, I saw what you did out there, and I've got one question for you." Lana, who'd just finished picking up the flowers, looked up at Jane and kept smiling. "Was it really that much fun toying with those girls?" Jane asked.

Lana fired back, "What do you mean? We dominated their team. Who cares about their feelings?"

Vidaj was astounded at how oblivious Lana was to Jane's death stare. Just as when it appeared that Jane couldn't get any angrier she had balled her hands into a fist. Her arms started to shake. "So you were more interested in the show you created than playing the game?"

Lana's smile faded as the bad vibes and in an aggressive tone she spoke. "What are you talking about? Did you see that enormous crowd cheering for us? They didn't seem to mind me having a little fun. This is a competitive sport, with no room for weak-minded players. Maybe if you played on a team, you'd understand what I'm talking about."

Vidaj cringed while Jane's expression went from furious to surprised and then back to even more furious in just a few seconds. "So you're saying you think it's funny to have fun at the expense of others, especially if it involves using your powers to trick them?"

Lana stepped right up to Jane; her head tilted up to her. Jane, who wasn't going to back down, shoved Lana, who stumbled back a few steps.

Lana charged forward, shouting, "Are you sure you want to fight me? With my ability to create illusions and my insane speed and reflexes?"

Jane's stern look never left as she calmly replied, "Your illusions have tripped me up quite a few times, and you're definitely faster than me, but you're forgetting one thing."

"And what's that?"

"Your speed, athleticism, and illusions can't block your pain receptors!" Jane exclaimed.

"What makes you think you can ever get your powers off?"

"Get my powers off?" Jane's hands moved up close to her face tingling. "Honey, I'm already using them!"

Dropping her flowers, Lana grabbed her left shoulder and grimaced in pain. The pain intensified as she fell to her knees.

Jane stood above her, her fingers still tingling from the effects of her ability. "Like I said, it doesn't matter if you're using your illusions right now. I can sense the pain receptors in your shoulder, which is how I know it's the real you."

SPRITES: Legacy of the Black PhoenixOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara