『0』❝Your End and My Beginning❞

Dark red liquid swirled around in her cup as the woman tilted it from side to side, feeling the cool glass against the palm of her hand.

Raising the cup towards her lips, she took a small sip of wine before setting it down on the polished table in front of her.

She tapped her fingers impatiently against the velvety armrest of the ivory-colored sofa, huffing out a loud sigh as she rested her gaze on the door.

"What's taking him so long? Did my maid not send out a message?", the woman muttered to no one in particular, a bit irritated as her time is running thin.

A few minutes later, hard knocks echoed from the wooden door, alerting the female.

"Enter."

Small squeaks escaped from the door as it was opened, revealing a man with a decent build and well-dressed in armor. His neat mop of light-brown hair was tied back into a low ponytail as to not obscure sight from his blue eyes.

"Pardon my tardiness, My Lady. You called for me?", questioned the knight as he gently closed the door with a soft click, getting down on one knee and lowering his head slightly as a sign of respect.

"About time. Were you going to make me wait all night?" She narrowed her amber eyes at him in annoyance, her words laced with a sour tone.

"My deepest apologies, My Lady. I was busy-"

"Oh, shut up. I don't care for it. If you were sorry, you wouldn't have been late to this meeting in the first place." She clicked her tongue in disapproval, swiping her hand through the air as to dismiss his apology.

The man furrowed his eyebrows and gritted his teeth in silent bitterness as he was faced with her words of vexation.

"You are correct, Madame. I hope to not disappoint you next time but may I ask why you requested of me?"

"I have a task for you.", responded the woman curtly as she played with a lock of her hair, focusing her gaze on the man kneeling before her. "You are sorry, correct? So if you want my forgiveness, you must do as I say."

"Yes, My Lady."

"The daughter of Duchess Arlene Grace.", she said simply, examining her nails nonchalantly.

"Yes, My Lady. What about her?", asked the knight in reply.

"Kill her. I want her dead."

She threw a pouch of white powder to him and spoke, "This will be useful in kidnapping her. I don't care how you kill her. Just get rid of the body and don't get caught."

"M-My Lady, you must be joking! I am her right-hand knight! My duty is to protect our kingdom, our people, and especially my Masters and Mistresses! I must refuse!" The man scrambled to his feet in surprise, staring at her in disbelief.

How could she ask of him such a devious request?

"You cannot refuse it! Am I not your superior, your Mistress?!", she roared at him, clenching her fists in anger. Her heels clicked against the waxed flooring of the lavish sitting room as she stood up and swiftly made her way to him, her simple, beautiful gown swaying with every step. "Besides, I'm well aware of your activities. You wouldn't want that to get out, do you?"

"What do you mean, My Lady?" He looked at her as she nearly closed the wide gap between them, his shocked expression turning grim as he realized by her actions that she was quite serious.

She stood up straight to match his height and whispered in his ear. A small gasp escaped his lips and with every word uttered, his anxiety heightened and his throat became drier and drier.

"H-how do you know that?!", he managed out to choke out in a hoarse voice as he laid his fearful eyes upon her, gulping profusely as he watched her step back from him with her arms crossed over her chest.

She sneered at him. "I have eyes and ears all over the palace, Sir Lucian. As you said, you are her right-hand knight, the best one serving the Grace family, and it is precisely that fact why you must be the one to slay her."

Lucian trembled nervously, falling to his knees and clasping his hands together as if in prayer.

"Please. Please, My Lady. Don't make me do this. I'm pleading with you. I cannot hurt her...I cannot bear to hurt Lady (Y/n)-"

Upon hearing her name, a piece of her sanity was torn away.

"Shut up! Don't you dare speak her name in my presence! I hate her! I hate her! I hate everything about her!" She screeched and pulled harshly at her hair, her face scrunching up in disgust as she let out strong, shaky breaths.

"Please...", murmured Lucian in a hushed tone, watching disaster unfold right before him.

After a few minutes, the woman calmly composed herself, smoothing out her hair and any rumples on her dress before directing her attention to the man. "Stop, you pathetic excuse of a knight. Stop begging on your knees for some cheap, village girl."

Lucian stood up slowly, his head hanging low as he registered her words.

"Tomorrow. I want her dead and gone. To disobey me means death and that's final. You may leave."

"Yes, My Lady...", mumbled the knight in defeat. He didn't have a choice in the matter. He turned around, his posture slouched and movements sluggish as he walked towards the door.

After he left, the woman made her way to the sofa and flopped back on it, allowing all the tension in her mind and muscles to melt away as determination settled within her.

(Y/n), I've been in your shadow for too long and I'm sick of it.

I was everyone's star but you took that away from me...

The only way I can shine brighter than you is to snuff out your light.

So please, let this be your end and my beginning.

I'm actually pretty excited to write this fanfic! I hope I can execute it properly though.

I raise my glass to all my Hansung Yu peeps; we finally have a coffee bae fanfic ♡♡♡

- Lil Tato ❧