Chapter 17: Sick

Y/N's POV:

I wake up in the middle of the night to the sound of coughing. Really harsh-sounding coughs, almost like you can hear that they hurt. I get out of bed and throw on my robe to cover myself. As I leave my room I see Damien emerge from his own room rubbing his forehead.

"Are you the one coughing? Are you feeling alright?" I ask in a hushed voice.

"No, I just woke up. It's Shayne." Damien replies.

"I'll go check on him, you go back to bed." I tell him. Damien nods and closes his bedroom door again.

I slowly open Shayne's bedroom door and peek my head inside, "Shayne? Are you feeling alright?"

I see Shayne lift his head and he opens his mouth to speak but he coughs instead.

"Aw Shayne, are you sick?" I go over and sit beside him on his bed. I put my hand against his forehead and I can feel that it's quite warm, "Oh my gosh, you're burning up!"

Shayne just groans and I run my fingers through his hair.

"You should go back to your room, I don't want you to catch whatever I have." Shayne mumbles.

I laugh a little, "I don't care if I catch whatever you have. I'm staying with you." Shayne watches me as I take off my robe and lift up his bedsheets. I crawl in next to him and wrap my arms around him so I'm the big spoon. He turns his head enough to look at me weakly and I kiss his forehead. He smiles and lays his head back down on his pillow.

After a few more coughs and sniffles, his breathing steadies and I can tell he's asleep. I nuzzle my face into his neck and close my eyes, letting sleep overcome me.

-

As the sun rises it shines through Shayne's window and burns my eyes. Shayne shuffles a little next to me and I kiss his neck.

"How are you feeling?" I ask quietly.

"Like crap." Shayne replies, his voice very groggy and weak.

"I'll call you in sick for work and I'll take the day off too. Then I'll run to the store and get you some medicine okay?" I say.

"Y/N, you don't have to take the day off. You have work to do." Shayne says weakly.

"I don't care, I'm taking care of you." I chuckle.

Shayne rolls over so we're both laying on our sides facing each other. His face has almost no colour in it except for his nose which is bright red.

"Shayne you look terrible." I reach up and cup his face with my hand.

"Thanks." He laughs weakly.

"You know what I mean." I smirk, "Do you have an appetite? Do you want me to make you anything?"

"Buttered toast." Shayne mumbles.

"Okay, I'll be right back. I'll call the office and then I'll make you toast." I say and start to get up. Shayne grabs my waist and pulls me against him. I giggle and he kisses my neck, "Thank you."

"For what?" I ask.

"For being willing to take care of me. You're pretty good at this girlfriend thing." Shayne replies.

"It's called being a decent human being." I laugh, "I will always take care of you. And I really don't care if I get sick." I turn my head and kiss him. I pull away and gently move his arm away from my waist, "I'll be right back." I get up and throw my robe on again. I go into my room and grab my phone to call Ian. He picks up after a few rings.