Chapter 13: He's My Savior

When lunch comes around, we sit undisturbed at our table

When lunch comes around, we sit undisturbed at our table. It's as if nothing happened the other day, the way no one speaks about it or even questions my sitting down with a tray of food. But something did happen, and it is evident with Emory avoiding my gaze, Atlas avoiding Yvonne's every touch and stare, and Yvonne's too wide of a smile. The cracks are subtle, but I spot them in this polished décor of a table.

Once again, Tave and Zain seem to have gotten in another fight. She isn't laughing at his jokes, and his smile doesn't reach his eyes.

On a normal day, I would've ignored it and let the elephant in the room sit uninterrupted. But the tension today makes me want to cringe and scream at the same time. What I would give to be sitting at a table with Marli alone.

"What is it this time?"

"What is what?" Zain grumbles.

"What is up with you guys?" I ask, the annoyance leaking into my voice. "You were fine the other day."

Zain purses her lips silently. Tave forks a pile of green lettuce.

"Can you guys just make up already? There's enough drama as—"

"Can you just stay out of it, Sage?" Zain snaps, taking me aback. "I don't ask about the weird tension between you and Theo or about any of the sneaking around and secrets you've been keeping. So, stay out of it will you?"

I stare at her, pressing my tongue to the roof of my mouth before I can say something I'll regret. Her words have a thick layer of truth beneath the impulsive, spur-of-a-moment rant, and I have to shake off the sting.

A flicker of guilt plays on her features, but she looks away, letting her hair curtain the side of her face.

"Zain," Tave mumbles in warning. "Lay off."

"No, you're right," I clear my throat. "It's not in my place to ask about your fights."

Theo has been staring at me the entire time, his scrutiny burning me, but he doesn't offer a look of condolence. Just an expressionless, studying gaze that I want to slap off his attractive face. Tave offers me an apologetic smile.

We sit in tense silence, the sounds of chatter from the other side of the table taking over.

"I'm sorry," Zain admits a minute later. "That was pretty harsh and totally uncalled for."

Her thick, wide brows furrow over candid eyes that stare expectantly at me, along with two other pairs of eyes that belong to Tave and Theo. I still want to be angry at her. But I'm already a very angry person, and soon enough, the grudges and ugly feelings inside will eat me up. I can't afford the extra baggage on top of everything—I'm tired.

I give her a tight-lipped smile. "It's alright."

"No, it isn't. I shouldn't have said that," she pushes. "I know I can be such a bitch sometimes."