26 - Indulging Noble Fetishes

I felt ill-at-ease walking into the recreation room where Albert played a solo game of billiards

I felt ill-at-ease walking into the recreation room where Albert played a solo game of billiards. After engaging intimately with his father, I could not shake the worry that the evidence was still apparent on my face. The earl had excused himself to attend to some matter with his advisor, leaving me alone with Albert and the two hounds, Brutus and Baby.

"So, you say you have played billiards before," Albert said as he settled the balls inside a triangular frame.

"A few times. I am certainly no expert. I was hoping you might offer me some tips."

He smiled, looking excited at the prospect of showing off. "I'll try to go easy on you, but I can't make any promises."

After setting up the table, Albert found a cue stick that fit my smaller stature, and he offered to break, given his larger stature. Once the game got underway, I engaged him in friendly conversation. Whatever the earl had in mind by way of tutoring, I did not want it to feel contrived.

"How are you and Alice getting on?"

"It's been brilliant. I knew she was a good choice. It seems no matter what sort of topic I bring up in my letters, she always has something clever to offer that I hadn't thought of. She's a deep thinker, like you. Perhaps, your cleverness has rubbed off on her."

"I take absolutely no credit for Alice's cleverness. We have not known each other long enough for that. However, based on what I have learned about the family, I have no trouble seeing where she gets her thoughtful nature from."

"Speaking of the Thompsons..." He let his words die as he lined up a shot. "Have you given up on the captain?" The ball he sent across the felt narrowly missed its mark, and he hid a scowl as he waved me to the table.

"I have not given him up. We are still figuring out the best course of action for our relationship."

"That sounds like a tricky prospect if you rarely see each other. Alice tells me that besides attending church together, you're only communicating through missives."

"So, are you and Alice."

"But we don't have the luxury of living in the same town." He lifted his eyebrows, which I only noticed from my peripheral view as I took my shot. I was lucky enough to drop the ball into the pocket, which earned me another go. "Have you ever felt anything for a benefactor? Anything like affection or love? Or is it always just a business transaction?"

Apparently, my focused silence encouraged him to ask more questions. Very personal questions. When I responded with a severe head tilt, he quickly amended his inquiry.

"Of course, your compassion is quite obvious. But, you must admit, it's your pragmatism that guides you during conversation. I've even noticed it in your letters."

That's because I was trying to discourage your advances, you silly lord.

"I suppose I' have learned to be pragmatic in my exchanges, but I never thought it came across so strongly."