29 - Persuading Pompous Princes

~  Monday Feb 15, 1813  ~

Determined to scrub Captain Thompson from my mind, I began my day with a visit to the rehab home. While Reggie no longer occupied a bed, his friend Thomas remained, receiving daily instruction on the proper use of a walking stick. His voice always cheered me, both in conversation and in song.

I then forced myself to call on the office of the army paymaster, hoping and dreading Colonel Whitaker would be agreeable to see me. Of course, I first had to stop at the desk of his secretary, and Mister Merriweather greeted me with a weary smile as he shuffled papers from one pile to another.

"Nice to see you, Mistress Hayes. What brings you to our office today?"

"I popped by to check on the status of those forms the colonel and I submitted to the military board. I thought you or the colonel might have an update for me."

"To my knowledge, there has been no advancement in the case. But the colonel may be privy to something I am not. Shall I enquire if he has a moment to see you? He has a meeting in ten minutes."

I gave his offer some deliberation while he continued to arrange papers with purpose. If the colonel had a meeting to attend, there would not be time for any funny business. "To be frank, I have been asked to Saint James Palace tomorrow to speak with the prince regent regarding the matter. I am here to be sure I know exactly where the case stands with respect to the board."

His head snapped up and several papers fluttered to the floor. "You have been given audience with the prince regent? To discuss the case?"

"Indeed, I have."

"That is something of import. I am sure the colonel will want to see you regardless of his time constraints. Follow me, please."

He popped out of his seat, and I hurried to keep up with his swift pace as he ushered me to the colonel's door. While I waited outside, he scuttled into the office and explained the situation. After which, I was given prompt admittance.

"Good day, Mistress Hayes. It has been some time since we have seen each other. I thought you might have forgotten about our little endeavor." The colonel lifted from his chair only long enough to feign politeness before he settled his large belly behind the desk again.

"You did suggest it would take a fair bit of time for the board to look over the forms and consider the case. As for my dedication to the endeavor, it rarely escapes my thoughts."

"Good. Good." He bobbed his head as his bristly brows bunched over his eyes, giving the impression he did not agree with his words. "My secretary tells me you have been granted an audience with the prince regent to discuss the case. How, may I ask, did you manage such a feat?"

"My assumption is that Admiral Pattinson from the office of seaman's wages put in a good word for me. At least, he said he would."

"Pattinson, eh? Sounds like something he'd do. He likes to use his influence whenever he thinks it might benefit him."