Chapter 43

Margret

I woke gasping and gagging and having no idea what happened or how I got here. I saw Marshall, rushing to my side. "Margret! You're awake! I'll go get a doctor!" He ran out to the hall, yelling for a nurse or doctor.

I wanted to move my hands and arms but there were so many wires, it hurt and stung and the tubes kept my arms in place gently. Suddenly there were two nurses and a doctor who I knew from somewhere. The doctor, who was older and had a scruffy chin, spoke, "Please stay still. You have a breathing tube in your throat. We're going to take it out."

It was so hard to stay still; it felt like some Sci-Fi movie, it felt like some kind of worm working itself up my throat. Finally when it was all out I coughed my throat hurting. He spoke again while the nurses started to take some of the wires and tubes away. "We'll get you some water. You most likely have a small irritation from the tube. Try to take it easy. We'll let you settle and drink something before filling you in." I nodded, reaching up to rub my throat. God it hurt.

They walked out, leaving the heart monitor on my finger. Marshall was holding my hand and petting my hair. I spoke quietly and raspy. "What...happened?" He frowned, looking worried. "You don't remember? You went into labor. During labor you had a massive heart attack. You've been on life support for three days." It all came back once he explained it. I got scared. "The baby? Max? Is he ok?" Marshall nodded. "He's just fine. He needed some oxygen therapy. Now that his levels are normal he's perfectly healthy."

I relaxed, breathing a sigh of relief. "When can I see him?" I asked. Marshall kissed my hand before speaking. "A few hours probably. You need to regain some strength. Eat a meal." "But he could sleep in here?" Marshall smiled. "We can ask the doctor." Suddenly his eyes watered, kissing my hand, holding it in both his. Like it was the most precious thing in the world. "I'm just so happy you're awake. We thought we were going to lose you." I smiled weakly for a moment. "Me too."

The doctor came back in with a tray of simple foods (soups, toast, and juice) and a nurse behind him wheeling in a baby carrier, placing it next to my bed. I nearly gasped, reaching out, seeing my son wiggling his little hands from under the blue blanket he was wrapped in. His hand wrapped around my finger and a few tears ran down my face. I felt Marshall kiss my head, holding me close as he could as the doctor spoke. "We'll leave you to your privacy. We'll be back in about an hour so you can eat and bond with your child. We advise not holding him just yet until you gain some strength back and eat." I nodded, sniffling. "Thank you doctor."

Once he left I smiled, wiping a few tears away. "He's bigger than expected." Marshall chuckled. "He has your eyes." I smiled. "Your hair. So brown and soft." We awed at our infant son a few moments more before Marshall was bringing me the food tray. I was starving but I guess that's what happens when you're on life support for three days.

I started with the toast, trying to eat slowly. While I was eating Max started to whimper and cry. I wanted to hold him so badly but doctors' orders. I didn't want to risk dropping him. Marshall picked him up with the grace of an experienced father. Nothing at all like the nervous and terrified first time father with Mason. He held him close, rocking and gently shushing him.

Max most likely wanted attention, having not had much with his parents. I couldn't help but watch, forgetting my food as Marshall gently cooed him into silence, kissing his head. He saw me watching and smiled. "I forgot how much I missed this. Our kids are all grown." I chuckled. "You realize once he's eighteen we'll be living in a home?" Marshall shrugged. "We'll only be in our sixty's. It's not that old." I rolled my eyes, smiling. "Sometimes I forget how good at math you are. Now I see were Morgan gets it from."

Once Max calmed Marshall got his phone out, calling the kids. I continued to eat my toast and gently hold Baby Matthews hand as it curled around my index finger. It made a swell of joy go through me.

The doctor came back some time later; I had eaten all the food they gave me. He smiled approvingly. "That's a good sign. You have an appetite. Once you digest a little we can get you something more solid. We'll start with the good news." Marshall perked up worriedly from Maxs hospital crib. "There's bad news?"

The doctor shrugged. "It not necessarily bad, just worrying. The good news is your awake, alert and have an appetite. Those are all very good signs and you should be out of here tomorrow. The worrying news is your heart was damaged from the massive heart attack suffered. It puts you at a higher risk for another but that can be prevented with healthy eating habits, active life style, so on and so forth. We want to wait a few months before starting any medication. See if it works itself out seeing it was birthing that triggered it." I nodded. I worried about home life. Juggling taking care of the kids and work will be much more difficult now. The doctor continued.

"We were a little scared for Baby Max over there since he was deprived of oxygen for a short amount of time but he seems alert and happy and active. If there any sign of brain damage it'll most likely be in his speech or monitor functions and right now that's too early to predict." I spoke. "So we're both ok for the most part?" The doctor nodded. "Yes. I can give you some materials and how to recover and prevent a heart attack after suffering one." I nodded as he walked out.

I noticed Marshall's jaw. There was a five o clock shadow. And his eyes had bags under them. I frowned. "You look exhausted." He walked over with a sad smile, holding my hand. "I've been here with you all three days. I...I couldn't bear to leave you. I was so scared at any moment you were going to die." His eyes watered over. I reached up wiping a few tears away. "I'm right here baby. Alive and well along with our son." He hugged me tightly, silently crying into my neck. I felt my own eyes water as he spoke. "Don't ever scare me like that again. I love you so much. I'm not strong enough to make it without you." "I'll try not to."

When he pulled away the room filled with the kids. Mason leading with a bouquet of flowers. Daisies. My favorite. Morgan behind him followed by Mikey holding her hand. Mikey smiled brightly, shouting before we could stop him. "Mummy's ok!" Suddenly Max was woken up, crying from the loud noise. Morgan tried to shush Mikey while Marshall was quick and picked him up little Max, rocking him into calm. All the kids smiled. Mason walked over, handing me the flowers, hugging me. "We're so glad you're ok." I smiled, hugging back with what strength I had. "Oh you can't get rid of me that easily." Morgan was next as Mason placed the flowers on the desk.

Her eyes were teary and reminded me so much of her father but she hugged me. "Thank god you're alright. We were a little lost without you." As she pulled away I saw Marshall sitting with Mikey in another chair, staring at his new baby brother. Everyone gathered around him. Marshall spoke with love and pride. "Kids. Meet your new baby Brother, Maxwell Phillip." Mason smiled, gently reaching and touching his hand. "You sure caused a lot of drama Max."

Morgan spoke next. "Welcome to the family little bro."

I will never tire of watching my family.

Not ever.

I worked too hard to get here. I wasn't ever going to let it go for a second. It was hours later the doctor came back with a bottle and formula for the baby. I frowned. "Can't I breast feed? I've done that with all my children." He smiled. "If you think you can, of course. I don't want you to rush getting your strength back." My children at this point went to the cafeteria to get food. Marshall was still holding Matthew. The little guy loved to be held and cried anytime he was put down. I felt guilt twinge at not being able to hold him and bond with him for days but I guess I couldn't really help that.

Marshall came over with the doctor's supervision as I moved the hospital gown down to revel a breast. I held my arms out and felt my baby Max in my arms for the first time. I wanted to cry. I held him close, he found the nipple quickly and started suckling.

I kissed his little head and held him close as he fed. I suddenly felt at peace and relaxed. I have my baby in my arms and my adoring husband at my side with the best kids anyone could ask for.