Chapter 27

New Home

The city is so big, it's like each corner in here has its own story. If you think you know where you are and you suddenly turn to another street, you're completely lost. There are millions of little moments. Every block and every street has its own narrative. And the most tragic one is mine.

The car stopped and we went outside. The sky's dark and the buildings flashed like stars against the black sky. I looked around in astonishment. The place is just so...different. I can't believe I'm here. In front of us was a tall handsome building. The entrance was made of glass, and on the side was a brown wall with the name '53W53'.

"Let's go, shall we?" My aunt said. "Okay...miss." I felt awkward saying that. I still don't know what to call her.

"Oh please, call me Auntie now." She said while walking. I sighed in relief. She led me inside the building. A man in a uniform greeted us at the lobby. "Good evening ma'am." The receptionist beamed. He smiled at me, but his gaze made me feel uneasy. I just timidly waved and looked at my aunt.

I can't believe I'm in the city. Not just any city, but one of the greatest cities in the world. And I can't believe I have an aunt.

We walked towards a steel door. Moments later, it opened and people flooded out. We went in and Auntie pressed number 48 on the wall. It amazes me on how many floors this building has. After a few seconds, the elevator stopped. I followed her and we walked towards a door. Beside it was a floor to ceiling glass wall with a magnificent view of the city. 

So, this is New York. I wish Papa's here with me.

Auntie got a card from her purse and tapped it on the door, making it open. "Come inside, this is your new home now."

I went inside and the place was big. It's just like a house, but in a building. "I'll tour you around the penthouse later. Is there anything you would like to eat?" She softly asked.

I shook my head. I followed her inside and we went to the kitchen. "Why didn't Papa tell me anything?" I asked, gazing on the window. My heart still hurts from all the pain. Father's gone. I left Dom. I have family other than my parents. And their identity...I still don't know.

"My brother has his reasons, Sapphire. But now that...he's dead, I'll be taking care of you. The investigation is still going on..." She somberly said.

"B-but how can you be my aunt? My family is not rich or has anything to do with business here."

She laughed, in a way with elegance. I don't know if she's being serious, but I felt insulted. "Your father was a businessman." Her tone suddenly went serious.

"Yes, we do business in Georgebury. I know he's a—"

"No, Sapphire. He used to own Vazquez Group of Companies. My company. Our company." She pressed.

My lips parted in shock. "B-but how?" 

"Didn't you wonder where your father gets money during the winter?" Her lips formed into a smile. "Robert still had the money he inherited from our parents. He doesn't even need to work to provide for you. But still, he chose to live normally." She scoffed.

Crop sales aren't good during wet season and I did wonder how Papa still manages to get us through...But I didn't think that he had a lot of money. Heck, I didn't even know he used to be a CEO!

"But why did he leave?" I sadly asked. Auntie was probably mad at him for going away. To have your brother go away like that, I can't even imagine. I saw her look away and heavily sigh. "He left to be with your mom." She said in monotone.

I grew silent. "He left me to manage our family's company, Sapphire. He loves your mother that much, he's willing to give up everything for her."

"I-I don't understand..." A tear rolled off my cheek. 

I miss Papa.

"Robert was arranged to marry another woman, but he loved your mom. They went away and got married. The next thing we knew, they're in Georgebury and you were in your mother's womb."

Tears prickled my eyes more. Maybe that's why Papa hasn't mentioned how he met Mama. He didn't tell me...

"Come here," My knees were weak as I followed her to a table with several picture frames. My eyes grew blurrier when I saw a picture of Papa. It was his younger self, and beside her is a young Astoria Vazquez. Papa was wearing a slacks and a blue coat uniform, while Auntie had a red checkered skirt and same coat. I glanced towards the other frames and saw a picture of Papa, wearing a black suit and tie. His hair was in a clean cut and he looked different. Different from the boots and hat that he usually wears when selling corn. But I can tell that it's him. And again, he's standing next to my aunt. She didn't seem like she aged at all.

"Do you believe I'm your auntie now? Or do you want to see your grandparents' graves?" She softly asked. 

I stood still. "I thought they were still alive..." I saw another picture. The two were sitting beside a couple. It was grandpa and grandma. They looked happy in the photo, like nothing ever happened. 

"So, you're really my aunt," My voice broke. I faced her and there was no joke in her expression. "Yes, honey. And this will be your new home." My heart ached. Papa used to call me that.

I'm still processing everything. Papa used to be a wealthy businessman. I have an aunt who's a CEO. Dom is not a farmer. He's a CEO who's divorced to some woman, that's what Keira said. My chest ached at the thought. Did he love her?

Aunt gave me a large bedroom in her penthouse. It's an stylish modern room with tones of cream and white. It has its own bathroom and walk-in closet. Despite how pretty and fancy everything is, it still doesn't feel like home. I went towards the floor to ceiling window and saw my reflection against the bright lights. My eyes watered when I looked at my feet. The anklet that Dom gave me is still there. A stray tear escaped my eye and I immediately wiped it away. On the corner of the room, I spotted a bookshelf. A wave of memories crashed on the shore of my mind.

This is my new home.

Everything is so different. Overthinking consumed me in the bed I'm in. I kept tossing and turning while looking at the bright lights outside. Hot tears prickled my eyes as I cried myself to sleep. 

I guess this is my life now.