Chapter Three - Apartment Go Boom Boom

Reid immediately dialed Hotch's number.

"What Reid? I just got home," Hotch said as he answered his phone, clearly annoyed and exhausted.

"Hotch there's a bomb at my apartment, i-it's got three minutes left and it's beeping." Reid said quickly. He was scared.

Hotch's voice perked up. "I'm calling the bomb squad. Get out of your apartment."

"I can't, someone barred the door from the outside. They must have waited until I was inside to do it. And my windows can't be opened. What do I do, Hotch?" Reid's voice was panicky, the beeping still going off loudly.

"Put it in the sink and cover it in flour get as far away from it as you can."

***

"Oh my god," Prentiss said in a hushed whisper.

Reid's apartment building had been evacuated. He was the only one inside. The entire team was there including the bomb squad, but there wasn't long left on the timer.

"Kid—you ok?" Morgan asked into Hotch's phone which was on speaker in between the BAU team.

"No. No not at all," Reid's voice was shaking.

Rossi nervously looked up at the apartment building.

It had already been three minutes. It was now a waiting game. They had no idea when the bomb would go off, the man who sent it had a remote detonator. He was waiting until the right moment to set the bomb off.

"Are you as far away as you can get?" JJ asked, putting on a tough face which didn't match the quiver in her voice.

"Yeah yeah I am—" Reid was cut off by a deafening boom.

The team saw the orange and red flames lick the outside of the building as his window's broke in sink with the boom.

The explosion wasn't as bad as they had been worried about, but Reid still could be dead.

And to make matters worse, all they heard was static over the phone.

The team rushed to the apartment with the bomb squad leading. After the apartment was cleared the team rushed inside. There were books scattered everywhere, coating the floors and counters. The door had been blown open by the explosion, but it was clear to see that the UNSUB used a small metal devise to keep Reid locked inside. Nothing was destroyed in the apartment. Just damaged and burned. He'd be able to move back in again soon.

The team rushed into Reid's bedroom where they found Reid. He was completely unharmed.

JJ knelt to the ground and wrapped Reid into a break taking hug, her head pressed into the crook of his neck, smelling his Old Spice deodorant and sort of mint-vanilla smelling shampoo.

His arms were tucked around her waist, simple relief and thankfulness for being alive filled him up as his chin rested on the top of JJ's head.

"Spence you scared the shit out of me. You're staying at my place."

***

The team was confused, for sure. Why set a bomb off that didn't destroy hardly anything and give Reid enough time to get away from it?

That was when Hotch got a phone call. He unsuspectingly answered.

"Hotchner." He said absentmindedly, looking at Reid with a careful eye as he sipped on a cup of coffee and huddled close to JJ.

"Dr Reid's apartment isn't too damaged, I hope?"

Hotch froze in alarm.

He snapped wildly at Garcia and whispered "Trace!"

"Did you send that bomb?" Hotch asked.

That caught everyone's attention. "I did. But I made sure Dr Reid was far away. I would never kill him. I would never kill any of you. Not yet, anyways."

"Is that why you waited for him to get away from the bomb to set it off?" Hotch asked as the team surrounded him.

"Of course. I was watching him. I'm watching you all now."

"Who is it your letters to us was referring to?"

"Oh—I thought you already figured that one out? You're far slower than I thought, Agent Hotchner. Or shall I call you Hotch, as your team does?"

"Who did you kill?" Hotch demanded as the click-clack of Garcia's angry typing flooded their ears.

"I didn't kill anyone. You did."

"Why did you send that bomb to Dr Reid's apartment?"

"Fear is intoxicating, Agent Hotchner. It's like a drug to me. The look on all of your faces as you were sure Doctor Reid was going to die.... it was the most pleasurable experience.

"I sent it because I wanted to Agent. I can do anything I want, my leader gave me a mission, and he said I could do anything in order to meet the goals he set for me."

"What's the mission?"

"That's up to you to discover. Decipher my clues, Agent Hotchner. Quickly, now. The end is coming soon, whether you like it or not, and I'd very much like for you to understand why I'm doing it when the time comes."

The man hung up abruptly, and Hotch spammed his phone down, anger and worry burrowing a pit in his stomach.

"H-He's outside of the building." Garcia sputtered once Hotch slammed his phone down.

"Let's go,"