3. Maya Finds Out

Maya's POV

I stare down at the photo for another moment. It's terrifying. A bed. My friend Liz. Lucas next to her. Lucas sleeping next to her. Lucas's head on her shoulder. 

"Siri, call Joyful Distraction," I order her, and the AI dials my best friend's number. 

"I know! I just saw it and I was about to call you!" She screams into the phone after picking up on the first ring. I nod even though she can't see it. "Don't worry I'm coming over right away."

I quickly jog down the hall to swing open the door after hearing the doorbell. Riley quickly pulled me into a hug, and soon Farkle was putting me in a quick embrace as well before pulling out. I see that Charlie and Daya are both here as well. "We're coming in," Farkle said, grabbing my hand and walking inside. Riley took my other hand. Charlie patted my shoulder and Daya rubbed my back before they stepped in too.

We are in my room now. I'm trying my hardest to not let any tears fall because I know exactly what that picture meant. And it explains a lot now. 

"How could he do this to you, Maya?" Riley said, breaking the somber silence. "Why would he?"

I sniffled deeply. I answered the only way I knew how. "I don't know." It was all I could manage before all of the tears flooded out. 

Charlie and Farkle came to hug me as well and just kept my hands in my lap. Riley slipped her hand into mine and leaned her head on my shoulder. I cried against Farkle's shirt, shutting my eyes so I wouldn't feel guilty about the wetness staining it now. 

"I just don't know," I whispered against him.

"Shh. Shh, it's okay," Riley soothed. She draped her arm across my back, separate from the embrace in front of me. I felt another hand and twisted my head to see a sympathetic Daya giving me a half-smile. I try my best but a weak and strained smile is all that I can reciprocate.

We were all basically crowded onto my queen-sized bed, and all of my friends offered support. I feel the most from Farkle and Riley. Farkle kept me held tight to him.

Just then, the doorbell rings. I look back and forth to each of my friends. "My mom and Shawn are on vacation celebrating their anniversary," I say wiping my tears.

"So who could it be?" Farkle asks after I lift my head off of his shoulder. He stares back at me questioningly. 

I shake my head to tell them all that I have no clue. 

"I'm coming with you," Farkle announces. I nod my head and get up from my bed, Farkle is right by my side and Riley gives my hand a squeeze before retracting hers.

I walk down the hall and look out of the peephole. Lucas. What the hell does he want? Despite that, I flail the back of my hand to Farkle's chest. "It's Lucas," I tell him. His eyes widen and soon he's gently moving in front of me, causing me to take a few steps back from the door. He yanks it open and looks right at Lucas.

"What do you want, Lucas?" he spits out angrily. I can hear the disappointment, annoyance, and utter contempt in his voice. I've never heard Farkle like this. 

"Farkle, I can explain." he pleaded. I furrowed my eyebrows. "Maya, I can explain. Please just let me. Don't I deserve that."

"Assholes don't deserve an explanation. Would you like to know if you're an asshole or not?" Farkle said. In any other situation, I'd be laughing hysterically, but this... I'm too sad to. 

"Farkle, what, come on, man, I'm your best friend. I make one mistake and you throw me to the pits? You won't let me explain?" He asks, finally turning to me. He keeps his eyes exactly trained on me and pushes Farkle away, stepping inside and right in front of me. "What are you getting from this?" He asks, his eyes boring into mine accusingly.

"It's not about what I'm getting from this, Lucas. You never should've cheated on me. I know exactly what's happening between you and Lindsey. And I want no part in it. I don't want to be with you anymore. Bye Lucas."

"I'm not leaving, Maya. Not until you let me explain."

"Can't you hear?" I whip my head back to see Riley emerge from my room. "She said leave, Lucas. So you need to go. Goodbye." Lucas's jaw dropped and.

"Stay out of this, Riley, it's none of your business!" He sneered to her. Then I could see how he instantly regretted it by his face morphing to sadness. "I'm sor-"

"Excuse me?!" I'm already asking, but it isn't a question. His eyes come back down to me. 

"Maya, I'm sorry. Is that what you want to hear?" He asks getting louder.

"Yes. Now that it's said you need to leave, Lucas."

"Lucas, leave," Riley adds.

He looks between the both of us a couple of times, glances to Farkle, and then shoves past. He slams the door as he leaves.

When he's gone I crumple into myself, leaning against the wall. "It's okay," Riley says.

The door swings open and I ignore Riley and watch as Farkle leans out, probably watching Lucas. I want to follow him but Riley holds me close to her, almost immobilizing me. I clutch on to her and melt into her embrace, and soon Farkle is clutching onto me as well. I see Riley glance at him, give a small smile, and then rub circles on my back.

"I'm so sorry," she whispers.

I find comfort in her voice and in Farkle's hold. I'll be okay.

VOTE, COMMENT, SHARE

Q&A!

Q: Who's more badass? Riley or Maya?

A: Riley is a bad bish (the sneaky kind)