5. First Day Struggles (Pain)

This chapter is originally named "First Day Pain" but I honestly like "First Day Struggles" better.

Can I just say... I absolutely HATE what comes of this chapter. Y'all will know. See's y'all's later. Enjoy!

If there are any Vegans reading this, is all jokes! So are the d**k jokes... you'll see. I just got carried away.

Maya's POV

I don't exactly care for September 8th. It sucks. It means school is starting up again. Thankfully this is my last year of high school and hopefully school itself since I haven't even began applying for colleges anyway.

-

30 minutes after calling Riley I got a text saying everyone was outside.

"Hello, fuckers," I greeted Daya, Farkle, Riley, and Charlie. They all looked pretty disappointed except for Daya who was cracking a smile.

"Hey yourself, too," she said quirking an eyebrow. I shrugged my shoulder before giving her a brief hug, since we're not that close, before making my rounds and stopping at Charlie to nod my head in appreciation of him being here.

We made it to the subway and surprise, surprise, Huckleberry sitting in his usual seat with a opened book propped up on his thigh. I smiled at him being alone, content with the image before looking away and finding my seat.

The ride was took longer than it usually would, probably due to the fact that Lucas and I weren't flirting with each other every minute. But I will not allow myself to dwell on that. We're over, simple as that. I'm not the type to give second chances anyway. Especially with shit like this.

As we walked from the subway station to school, I couldn't help but bring up the question. "Riley, is Cory going to be our teacher?"

She giggled softly. And then her laughter grew until she choked on her cackles and Charlie had to rub circles on her back. I stared at her with wide eyes, wanting an answer. She'd finally calmed down by the second word in her sentence, "Oh, goodness, Maya you know he is. I wanted it to be a surprise but I think my laughter gave it away." I sigh loudly before rubbing my forehead, wondering if I should transfer out of her dad's history class before it would be too late. Of course I didn't know he was going to be the teacher because I don't check the pamphlets or whatever they give us at orientation because I don't go to orientation. In fact, Riley didn't either. We've been going to this school for three years so far—why wouldn't we know where the bathrooms are?

Riley must have been laughing for a good five minutes because by the time she gave me her answer, we were already at the front door and I was definitely walking inside the familiar building with a severe frown.

"Oh, and Maya, we're in the same homeroom... that of course my dad is teaching."

I throw my arms up in exasperation, find the nearest row of locker and face it, throwing my head on it with a bang. "Take me now, good lord! I can't go on..."

I feel soft hands on my arm pulling me away and scoff at Riley for taking me away from wallowing in my own self-pity.

"Let me go, Riley! All I needed was another minute and I'd be free," I say dully before letting her pull me along to our classroom. There was already a few people inside.

I look around the classroom decked out in posters relating to history or whatever, and then to my astonishment is a clock hung on the back wall with Cory's face plastered on it as the background. I raise an eyebrow at the hideous thing and slowly look around until I land on Cory's scowl.