MY AWKWARD TRIP TO THE OUTFITTERS

School days have plenty of good times to cherish . In this part of the world where I grew up , music , sport , especially football and generally looking good has always been part of the game . During my primary school days , I was staying with two of my three sisters for a while weekdays , while my mother was at the school where she taught . My bigger sister , sisPhila , was already in St Augustine's High School during this period , she was essentially looking after my other sister and I during my mother's absence . She has always been a hard worker , and exceptionally good with house chores and very clean . As a young boy , I would get in trouble from time to time with her , for either undressing and leaving my clothes on the floor or for not taking a bath , or sometimes for getting dirty and walking around in public looking that way . I would get a good reprimand
from her if I dared to commit any of the above " offences" .
I have spoken about "looking good" . My sister had a pretty good taste of fashion , up to this day actually . She conscientized me , as a young fellow , in many ways , to take stock of what I was wearing . I grew up with this influence right up to my teen years . I think I have outgrown it though , these days I simply dress up to cover my body . Eventhough I didn't have a lot of clothes during my high school days , I was very particular with the little clothes that I had . So , whenever I was given money at home to buy myself some clothes , I would chase after labels , like my other peers . In Durban and in Johannesburg there were popular outfitters who stocked good labels , likewise , in our small town , in Dundee , we had about three outfitters , with pretty good stock . My favourite outfitter in Dundee was Styles , infact , Styles was every young boy and young man's favourite outfitter in the whole town . They were usually well stocked , but on very rare occasions , you would be forced to check from the other outfitters , if maybe , the outfit colour or your size was not available at Styles .
Indian businesses , mostly , offer these outfitters , and their prices are competitively reasonable .

I had gone to Styles , in Dundee , to buy myself Brentwood trousers , in grey colours . I intended to use my grey Brentwood trousers for both school and private occasions . Unfortunately , Styles did not have them in grey colour that day , so I was forced to go to the other outfitters . I went to this other outfitter , I thought I had explained myself clearly on my arrival there . I was looking for grey Brentwood trousers . The middle aged gentleman who assisted me , who happened to be the shopkeeper as well , did not have what I was looking for either . Instead of letting me leave his shop peacefully , he chose to offer me some other options.
I was not interested in any other option , I had long made up my mind , even before I left home , I was not going to settle for anything else . The gentleman insisted that I try this and that outfit . This went on for almost half an hour , running up and down between the fitting room and the shop aisles . I was not going to buy anything else other than the grey Brentwood , so I excused myself . I wanted to leave . The gentleman reached out for his left leg and pulled out a baby brown , again reached out for his pocket and took out a yellow duster , and slowly began to polish his baby brown , while talking to me . My plans changed suddenly , I told the gentleman that , I was rather going to buy the brown Brentwood he had made me to try on . During this entire period , only two other customers had checked in and left the shop . I knew the baby brown very well , my uncle used to own one . I was not going to risk my life , leave this shop without buying and get shot . At least , that's what I was thinking at the time . He never intimidate me in any other way . He wrapped up my brown Brentwood , I paid him , and left the shop as quickly as I could .