CHAPTER SIX

6 | classes, potions and duels

𝟺 𝚜𝚎𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚖𝚋𝚎𝚛 𝟷𝟿𝟺𝟺

ON MONDAY MORNING, Hermione woke up earlier than usual with the realisation that today would not be an ordinary day at Hogwarts. But then again, when has it ever been ordinary at Hogwarts? Today and onward, her mission alone was to attract Tom Riddle's attention in order to be invited into his inner circle to seek information about his weakness and horcruxes. And she hoped everything would go on as planned.

She put on her school robes and pinned her bangs to the side before her gaze flickered to her bedside table. Her new Head Girl badge sat there on top of a book she had been reading last night. She smiled, feeling a sense of pride surging through her body. She took the badge in her fingers, admiring it before pinning it to her robe where it sat handsomely.

Today, they will be receiving their timetable. Hermione didn't know why but perhaps it was because she would not be attending Hogwarts in her own time due to the war that made her excited for classes to begin as a seventh-year. She exited her room, noting how quiet the common room was except for the dying embers in the fireplace, crackling softly. She went down for breakfast without checking to see if Tom Riddle had left or not.

Hermione entered the Great Hall, the ceiling serenely blue and streaked with frail, wispy clouds, just like the squares of the sky visible through the high mullioned windows. She noticed only a handful of teachers and students were present, talking and eating their breakfast quietly while a few excited looking first-years were chatting animatedly amongst themselves.

She glanced up toward the Head Table to see Albus Dumbledore smiling down at her. His blue eyes twinkled in the morning light before he winked and returned to his conversation with the teacher beside him. While she tucked into her porridge with eggs and bacon, she saw Claire walk through the large doors. The girl spotted her and immediately brightened, shuffling over.

"Morning Hermione!" Claire exclaimed. "Sleep well?"

Hermione grinned. "Like a baby."

They chatted away about the upcoming classes, the teachers, staff and Hermione noted how Claire had not asked Hermione of her family which made her wonder if she was purposely avoiding the topic. Curiosity piqued her but she kept it to herself as she was sure Claire had her reasons. As the girl talked about the quidditch tryout that upcoming Saturday while eating her porridge and eggs, a tall figure by the doors caught Hermione's attention.

She narrowed her eyes at Tom Riddle, who entered the Great Hall without a single care in the world. Everyone who he passed, lifted their gaze to stare at him, admiration in their eyes. She saw him smile at a bunch of fourth-year Slytherin girls, who swooned and fanned themselves as he passed by. It made her want to punch someone in the face.

Secretly, she watched him buttered a piece of toast, no longer listening to Claire who was still talking in the background. She noticed he wasn't doing much rather than eating and continued reading the book she had seen him read that Saturday. He paid little attention to the Slytherin boys who strutted in, talking loud enough that students began to lift their heads in their direction. However when the talking became too loud, he shot them a glare which promptly shut them up.

Hermione wondered if she would be like that once she had successfully entered his circle: silent and obedient.

"Are you even listening to a word I'm saying?" Claire's voice made her freeze.

"Sorry," Hermione said sheepishly. "I was just thinking."

Claire raised a brow and looked over where Hermione had been staring at. She grinned slyly. "Thinking about our golden Head Boy eh?"