❃Chapter Six❃

The morning was alive with noise, and Asake wasn't happy. She wanted to continue to sleep, to dream about Zuko, but there was a banging on her door that had been going on for the last couple of minutes. She was wrapped in her blankets, her pillow over her head. 

"Asake!" Zasai yelled, the banging ceasing for a moment. "You need to come out of your room now! Zoa really needs you, and if you don't come out, both of our butts are on the line."

"I don't want to see her," Asake called out, sitting up. "Doesn't she get that, Zasai? Doesn't she get that I hate her?"

There was another thud on the door, and Asake assumed Zasai hit his head against the door. "Just - open the door so I can talk to you."

"Is Zoa or Daza with you?"

"No."

Asake stood up, unlocking her door. She swung it open, looking around Zasai to make sure he didn't lie to her. "Okay, come on it."

Zasai brushed past her, and Asake shut the door behind him. "Finally. You are very stubborn, just like your brother."

"Don't call him that," Asake said, leaning against the door. "Not yet, at least. Anyway, why are you here? And why is there so much noise out there?"

"The noise is connected to why I'm here," Zasai said, shrugging. "Tonight is the yearly feast that Zoa holds, which is why it's noisy out there. People are rushing to set up the tables and things since we only set up the day of. I'm here because Zoa wants you to attend the feast as well as to make you help set up."

"No, thank you." Asake grinned, saying, "I'm fine with being in my room."

"That's not an acceptable answer."

"And yes is?" Asake snorted, crossing her arms over her chest. "She's going to make me go, isn't she?"

"Yeah. She has a way of doing that," Zasai said, shaking his head. "I'd much rather be in my room too, but everyone has to attend."

Asake sighed, hitting the back of her head against the door. She glared at the ceiling, saying, "What goes on at the feast?"

"We eat, dance, drink, things like that. It's a night to let loose a little since we spend everyday working or training."

"If I seem like I'm going to explode, get me out of there," Asake said, locking eyes with Zasai. "I'll do the same for you."

"Deal," Zasai said, nodding. "Let's go find Zoa."

Asake moved away from the door, allowing Zasai to go first. She followed behind him, stopping in her tracks. "Wait! I'm in my pajamas. Let me change first."

She spun back around, shoving her door open. She let it close behind her as she walked over to the dresser, opening one of the drawers. She grabbed a long black skirt that hit her ankles, and spotted a red shirt next to it. There were other things in the drawer, but these two things were on top, even though she hadn't put them there. Her mother must have been in her room and set the clothes out specifically for her. 

Asake threw her pajamas onto her bed, sliding on the silky skirt. She touched the soft fabric, admiring the way it hung around her small frame. It had been a while since she felt feminine and pretty, so it was a nice surprise for her. She pulled on the cottony shirt and realized that the shirt was shorter than what she thought. She tugged her skirt up further on her hips, making sure the shirt wouldn't show off any of her scars. 

Asake turned toward the mirror she had faced the other way, grabbing the corners. She spun it around, leaning it against the wall. She hardly ever looked at herself in a mirror, which was why she had the mirror facing the other way. The girl in the mirror was not the same girl from the ship. She was more gaunt, her eyes more haunted, her body language more closed off. But there was that familiar spark in her eyes, the one that shone through whatever happened to her.