❃Chapter Thirteen❃

Asake regretted taking the boat. At the beginning, it was okay because she had the medicine to help with her seasickness. However, she had run out of the medicine, and now, she was back to vomiting over the side of the boat. 

Asake's body heaved against the side of the boat. There was nothing left in her stomach, and a dull ache spread whenever she dry heaved. She took deep breaths, making sure she wouldn't do that again. Her head hung over the edge of the boat, and her hair was probably in the water. She didn't mind. 

Asake hauled herself back into the ship, closing her eyes. Her chest rose and fell in time with the waves, and she slowly but surely felt better. There was something about having her eyes shut that always made her feel better. Maybe it was because she couldn't see the moving horizon. When she was on Zuko's ship, she had pushed her seasickness away. She came up with a way to not get so sick, but it had been a while, and she forgot what she did. Perhaps this was the Earth Kingdom side of her, wanting to stay on solid land. 

Asake opened her eyes again, sitting up. Her head was very heavy, but she still looked forward. If she could focus on something in the distance, she would be okay. Her eyes searched the horizon, and her heart started thudding in her chest when she saw land approaching. She wasn't sure how long she had been on the boat, but it had to be days. She wouldn't have been that near to land if she were further away. Asake stared at the land, lifting the oars from the floor of the ship. While she was getting sick, she allowed the boat to float. However, now she needed to row to get to the land. 

Pain spread through her arms and back, but she pushed through it. She was so close to seeing her father again. Asake faltered for a second, wondering what she would say to Yagow. Would she be mad at him? Would she be happy to see him again? What would he do when he saw her? Would he embrace her? Would he report her to the Fire Nation government? There were so many possibilities of what he could do. Asake grew worried. What if he didn't want to see her? What would she do then? 

Asake shook her head, scattering the thoughts. She shouldn't worry about it now. She wasn't even on solid land yet! She had some time to think about what she would say to Yagow. Asake knew she would feel better if she thought about that. She'd be more prepared. A tired smile appeared on Asake's face. She was ready for whatever her father threw at her. 

The dark hung like a blanket around Asake, the stars and moon the only things lighting up her path

The dark hung like a blanket around Asake, the stars and moon the only things lighting up her path. There was a kind of solace in it that she found. She felt as if she knew the dark and it knew her. She had spent a lot of time in the dark, and it had become a sort of home for her. She was comfortable in it because it hid her scars and demons. 

The soft grass tickled her bare feet as Asake walked to her house. A few hours ago, she had washed up on shore. She hid her boat in a small alcove, and set off to where she thought her house was. She got lost a couple times, but she soon found her way. It was like her heart was leading her home, to the house she grew up in for the first twelve years of her life. It was drawing her in, welcoming her back with open arms. Her heart swelled when she thought about it.