The Accident

Charlie couldn't sleep, he tossed and turned but it was just no good. He had gotten so used to having Alex by his side, that his bed felt cold and empty without him. Sleep seemed pointless without him. He had no one to snuggle into, no one to press kisses into his hair or hold his hand when he couldn't sleep. Alex was his rock, his constant and the kindest person he'd ever met. He was lost without him and it had only been 12 hours.

Zach and Jessica had dragged Alex out for the evening. He was back for the summer from college, and as unenthusiastic as he was about socialising, even Alex had missed hanging out with his friends. Charlie was of course invited, but he had decided to stay home this time, wanting Alex to enjoy some alone time with the people he had been through so much with, before he was due to go back next week.

It had been a beautiful summer filled with picnics, an abundance of gaming sessions and cuddles and kisses, rendering it the most perfect school holiday Charlie could wish for. He had grown to know Alex inside out, from his highs to his deep lows, loving him endlessly despite his struggles. He was happy because Alex was happy, and after everything his boy had been through Charlie called it a miracle.

He tossed once again, eyeing the clock as it hit 3am. Alex had promised to text him when he was home safe, but as the hours passed Charlie had a gut feeling that something wasn't quite right. Maybe they had pulled an all nighter, gone to a club somewhere in the city. Maybe they had drunkenly headed back to Jessica's for a sleepover and his mind had been off his phone. He shook his bad feeling away, placing his mobile back on the nightstand once more.

He was sure he'd be okay.
.
.
3:45am

Charlie woke with a jolt, his short slumber fading quickly as he heard his phone ring out. His eyes widened, his heart fluttering as he went to pull it from the charging chord. Maybe Alex needed a lift.

His brow furrowed as he saw Jessica's number shining through the screen. He shook away confusion and quickly answered.

"Hey Jess, what's up?" He spoke groggily, rubbing the sleepiness from his eyes. He could hear heavy breathing on the line, and his heart began to speed up. "Jess? Talk to me, what's happened? Are you okay? Is Alex okay?"

"C-Charlie." Jess whimpered. Her voice cracked, the signal was touch and go. "W-We had an accident." She cried, her voice breaking as she went distant from the phone.

Charlie shot upwards, his words mute for a second as he tried to process. Alex was in an accident. Alex was in a crash. Alex.

"A-Are you okay?" He mumbled quickly, shakily pressing speaker phone as he rushed to pull out some clothes. "Where's Alex? Is he okay?Jess tell me Alex is okay." He fretted, his voice raised in fright as he hovered over the phone. "JESSICA."

"S-Someone crashed into the side of Z-Zach's car, it o-overturned. Both me and Zach managed to climb out but A-Alex, h-he-"

"Oh god no, Jess, please, what about Alex, did he get out of the car too?" Charlie felt like screaming. He'd clumsily pulled a jumper over his head, his sweats sufficing as bottoms, and he was rushing down the corridor, car keys in hand. "IS ALEX OKAY?"

"H-He hit his head badly, h-he's not waking up Charlie, h-he's not waking up." Jessica was balling, and through the bad reception and her loud tears he could just about hear sirens in the background. "W-We are on the way t-to the h-hospital, c-come quickly." She whimpered, breathing heavily into the phone. "I-I've called his d-dad too." Charlie gulped back the lump in his throat, letting out a heavy breath as he reached his car.

"I'm coming Jess, hang in there, tell him to hang in there." Charlie choked on his tears as he ended the call, starting his engine up with shaky hands. Alex had to be okay. He had to be, for Charlie couldn't live without him.
.
.
Charlie didn't know how long he had been waiting. The hours had blurred together, his body too nervous to settle and sleep. He had watched the sun rise from the hospital waiting room, anxiously looking from the window to the admissions door, desperately waiting for a doctor to come out with some news.