The First Game

It was the first game of the season. Charlie was nervous, his hands sweaty, his breaths heavy as he paced the locker room.

He was the quarterback, the quarterback that was 100% going to let everybody down when he choked on the field. All he could think of was screwing the play up, dropping the ball, tripping over another players shoe. Something was going to go wrong.

He knew his father would be watching. Head of the boosters, a man that was proudly telling other parents that his son was playing centre stage tonight. He didn't want to let him down, he didn't want to let his team down. He'd hoped that Alex would be there, his comforting eyes helping him along from the stands, but as of two days ago he'd gotten a call from his boyfriend, the sweet boy apologetic and defeated as he told him he couldn't make it back for the game.

Charlie knew he was swamped with the college work, but a little piece of him wished that he could have dropped it, just to see him play. He wanted Alex to be proud of him, that's all he ever really wanted.

"You ready St. George? Luke patted his back ruffling his hair as he grabbed his kit. "Don't be nervous Charlie, you've got this." He gave him a cheeky wink before picking up his jersey and heading out towards the door.

"I just thought he'd be here you know." Charlie sighed, earning a comforting smile from his friend. "He calms me down."

"Well, the quicker you head onto the field, the better then." He motioned to the door, chucking Charlie his helmet. "Come on St. George, let's smash this."

Charlie was confused, but followed tentatively, walking out onto a field filled with bright stadium lights and roaring crowds. There were so many people, but the stadium felt empty to him, empty without his boy. As the team began to do their final huddle, his heart rate quickened. It was nearly time, he couldn't do this.

"Okay team, I want a nice clean game, no messing around, no stupid shit okay?" Coach Kerba bellowed, earning a couple of shouts from the team in agreement. "WHO ARE WE?"

"TIGERS"

Charlie felt his head spinning with nerves.

"TIGERS"

He couldn't do this without Alex there.

"TIGERS"

As he pulled back from the huddle, his brow furrowed in confusion as the boys crowded in front of him, coach Kerba smirking as they stood in the middle of the field, blocking his view.

This wasn't normal, what was happening?

It was only the roaring scream of the crowd in the stands that alerted him to the situation before his eyes. He watched in amazement as the jocks parted, allowing a small framed boy with fluffy brown hair to walk towards him, holding a small bouquet of flowers and a confronting smile.

Alex Standall.

"W-What are you doing here?" Charlie mumbled breathlessly, his hands flying over his mouth in shock. He walked towards him, his eyes welling.

"You didn't think I'd miss your first game right?" Alex smirked, finally resting his hand on Charlie's shoulder. He was shaky, he hated being watched by crowds of people. "C'mere you." He placed the bouquet to the floor, looping his arms around Charlie's figure. At that Charlie crumbled into his embrace, tears threatening to fall.

"B-But you said-" he was confused, Alex was busy, he'd told him he was busy.

"I lied you dufus, I can't believe you believed my pathetic attempt at deception." He giggled, bopping the jock's nose with his thumb. "So since I've come all this way I'm counting on you to win this for me." He joked, holding his tiny Liberty flag.

"You hate sport and this school, since when did you care about football." Charlie laughed at the little thing, as Alex put it back in his pocket.

"Since I knew this made you happy. I may hate this school, but I love you more." He confessed, standing on his tip toes to give the boy one final peck. "And anyway, you're lucky. I don't do public displays of affection very often, so take it in Charles, I am currently dying right now."

"God I love you." Charlie laughed, rolling his eyes. To that Alex nodded, whispering it back as he pulled away, motioning with a nod that the game was about to begin.

"You can do this, I'll be right at the front, cheering you on." Alex nervously stood back, enveloping himself back in the crowd, and Charlie took a deep breath. He could do this, Alex made him strong.

"RIGHT TIGERS, ARE WE READY TO TAKE THIS GAME AND SMASH IT?" Coach Kerba screamed as the team lined up.

Charlie took a final look at Alex, who had found a seat between two seniors, a proud smile on his face. He could do it, he'd win it for him.

And do you know what? He did.
.
.
A/N: Deffo wanted to add some fluff for Charlie since he deserves it!! Keep requests coming in!! ❤️