Bad Day

It was 6am when Charlie heard a knock on the bedroom door, his sleepy head pressing itself further into his husband's body as he looped his arm around his still figure.

"L-Lex, you awake? The kids are at the door." Charlie's groggy hum turned into a mumble as he picked his head up from the pillow, pressing a kiss to Alex's hair. With that he heard the door creak open, tranquility broken as both Mia and Jack piled into the room.

"Daddy, Daddy!!" Mia chimed, pushing herself up onto the bed and into Charlie's arms. He watched as Jack instinctively went to the other side of the bed, frowning as his other dad was still sound asleep.

"Morning my beautiful babies." Charlie smiled as his little girl buried her golden locks in the crook of his neck, before shooting a cheeky wink at Jack who was tugging at Alex's arm.

"Why isn't daddy Alex awake?" Jack pouted, climbing onto the right side of the bed and snuggling himself into Alex's figure.

"Jack sweetie, let him sleep, we got back very late last night, we talked about how sometimes daddy Alex needs a bit more rest haven't we?" Charlie leaned across the bed to scoop up his son, pressing a kiss to his forehead as he joined Mia in his arms.

Jack and Mia had been with a babysitter the past two days, allowing Charlie and Alex to spend time with Alex's Dad, the man currently in the hospital. After receiving a triple bypass surgery, Alex had insisted that the both of them stayed at the hospital, constantly by his side in case the worse happened. Neither of them had had more than 3 hours sleep in the past 48 hours, rendering Alex weaker than usual, his TBI taking effect.

As Jack nodded against Charlie's chest, Charlie felt Alex move, smiling as he turned over to face him, his eyes still shut, his lips parted as he went to speak.

"I'm awake, I'm awake." He mumbled, chuckling inaudibly as he pushed his eyes open to see Jack leaping onto him, Mia following as she shuffled over the bed. He opened up his arms, looping them around the pair as he lifted his head to look at Charlie. "Morning my little loves." He whispered, sluggishly playing with Mia's golden curls.

He watched Charlie mouth "Are you okay?" His husband's brow furrowed with concern, as he pushed his hair back with his hands. Alex rolled his eyes, nodding his head as he pushed himself up against his pillow.

"Who is ready for some breakkie?" He conjured a tone of excitement from his exhausted demeanour, grinning through his banging headache as the kids jumped up, tugging on his arm and requesting pancakes just a little too loudly. "Alright, alright kiddos, give us 10 minutes and we'll be right down." Alex pressed a kiss to both of their heads, letting out a long awaited sigh as they ran down the corridor.

"Baby, are you okay?" Charlie rolled over, pulling Alex's tiny frame into a comforting hug. "Why don't you get a few more hours while I sort breakfast for the kids?" He suggested, concerned as Alex groaned, shaking his head against his chest. "I've not got to be at work for two hours, come on Lex, you don't look well." Charlie protested, letting out a sigh of defeat as Alex pulled away, pulling back the covers as he shakily stood.

"M'fine Charlie." He muttered, limping against his stiff leg as he plodded to the bathroom.

He wasn't fine, not in the slightest, and Charlie had never been more annoyed that he had work on a Saturday, leaving his husband to take care of two over energetic five year olds.
.
.
"Aunty Jess look theres a duck!" Mia chirped, running towards the river. She pulled Jack in toe,  motioning for Alex to pass them the stale bread he was currently cradling in his hand. He giggled sarcastically at his daughter's excitement, but kneeled down to pass her a slice anyway, his heart undoubtedly swelling with awe as she threw little chunks into the water.