Chapter 1 - Desperation

Saturday 12th August 2014 --- around 8:00 am
Location: Blaze family holiday home, California
Perspective: Connor Nathan Blaze

Main characters:

Connor Nathan Blaze
Hunter Nico Blaze
Jessica Elizabeth Blaze
Rose Turner

Secondary Characters:

Olivia Turner
Leo Blaze
Brandon Smith
Garrett Smith
Lea Hayes
Miles

Also Appearing:

Finn Reilly

Five days. That's how long the food lasted, now we've got to risk our lives to get more. Garrett and Leo ate most of it between them, but we could hardly say anything as this was the hardest for them.

I've been keeping an eye on the nearby freaks from the roof, must be at least fifty of those poor fuckers between us and our next meal, kinda ironic seeing as how we could easily end up being one of their next meals.

Alternatively we could not eat and starve to death, both options seemed hopeless and rather morbid. So in our current situation we're all over the damn place, emotionally and physically. We've been scattered around the large holiday home. We haven't been speaking much since the last broadcast. 'It's dead in here and it's dead out there', but at least in here we don't have to worry about those things. I look over to the bar where Hunter and Miles are talking, probably about Ben.

We're supposed to be heading out for a supply run today, but none of us are prepared for what's out there, except Hunter. He's probably prepared for everything. Once while we were on a family camping trip in Argentina, I'd manage to wander off and get lost, he'd found me and led me back to the others. All without a single hint that he was worried. If anyone could lead us through this it was him.

I walked upstairs to my bedroom, looking at the black wooden rack on which my two Ninjato swords rested. I had two years worth of training with them, not that I remember when I decided to get into martial arts. But it's always been a part of me, it still was until the world recently went to shit. I was supposed to enter a mixed martial arts tournament with Hunter and some other friends - later in the year, I highly doubted that was still happening.

I was deep in my thoughts as I glanced down at the swords.

"Two years I trained with these ... never thought it'd be anything more than a hobby" I softly mutter, looking back towards the bed when Rose responds, "Connor..". She didn't have to finish what she was going to say, I already knew what she was thinking. "Sorry" I whisper back before moving under the duvet and laying beside her. I turned to face her, a smile forming on my lips as we gazed into each other's eyes. "I love you" I whispered before leaning in for a slow, but passionate kiss. I smirked against her lips before slowly pulling away, I closed my eyes for a moment as I lay cuddled against her.

It's around 1:00 pm now, I grab my two swords, Hunter grabs some knives from the kitchen and a tool kit from the garage. We load the weapons into the blue Escalade, in the garage, before getting into it. There's me, Hunter, Brandon and Garrett in the vehicle. Garrett insists on staying with Brandon and Brandon is usually reckless, so it's not surprising that he doesn't mind if his little brother comes along with us.