Prologue

May 15, 2009. 10:36PM.

It was a very tepid night of 2009 summer season in Poly Live, where most of the houses' windows were kept open to let some cold air in. Some children are still hanging around the streets, chilling, and lovers still lingers through the pathways of mountains. Yeah, the island is busy enough.

But the Observatory high above the mountain was busier than they have ever been, and it's much busier down there, in that warm underground facility (machines are working nonstop for a full week now, keeping the place very warm). Scientists are walking around, passing documents from person to person with such a succeeding smile in their faces. They were happy. Very happy.

The machine they have developed for years shows a very stable status; much stable than they had expected. At galak na galak sila dahil ito na ang pagkatuklas na may pinakamalaking hakbang paloob, palalim sa agham. The biggest step for humanity, and it has the ability to break the principles and laws of science na ilang siglo nang pinaniniwalaan ng sangkatauhan.

They discovered a theorized particle that surpass the speed of light—Tachyon.

Ang pagkakatuklas pa lamang sa Tachyon ay isa ng nakamamanghang bagay. But... Hindi kasi Tachyon ang tunay na pakay ni Professor Albyss, head of Poly Live Observatory, at siya ring nagplano ng paggawa nila ng Forescreen. Pero ang pagkakadiskubre nila ng Tachyon ay lalong makatulong sa pagbuo ng kanilang experimento. At mas gusto nila ng mas malaki pang bagay.

This Forescreen shines in the middle of that room, serves as the cite of their success. It emits a very bright blue lights from the inside. It's like a turtleback TV in the size of a cargo truck, made of steel and fiber glass. Forescreen is, technically, a TV of something you seems to expect—the future. Ipinapakita sa screen ang hinaharap, statically. Tachyon particles are so small, mere subatomic, making them look static on the screen, scientists are still on study of how they can gather more tachyons to have higher definition, and for now they could just only project events a few seconds from the future. They're trying this by powering up tons of alpha particles to made tachyon particles concentrated.

To explain clearly how the machine really works, it is all because of Tachyon particles. They are faster than light and they have the ability to travel back in time. Those tachyon particles seen on the machine came from the future, taking fragments of events and take it back to the present. And those fragments are projected in that giant screen-like machine. Patuloy pa nilang nilalaliman ang pag-aaral dito. They are planning to make the particles more excited, or faster, so they can dig deeper to the future; foresee a day longer, or maybe even a year or millennium.

Bunch of scientists are taking possible observation in front of the screen of the Forescreen, while they watch themselves on the screen doing what they are about to do yet; their figures laugh before they can laugh; leaving before they can make a step and; many more. Naaaliw sila sa pinapakitang kalagayan ng kanilang imbensyon; naaaliw sila sa kanilang nakikita.

The machine shows a stable status as they arise it's power into double. Scientists smiles at each other as they looked at the machine performs in front of them. Their converted measure screen says that they're foreseeing 0.4990 second more to the future.

Then they go for triple—0.5002 second, the measure says—and everything they have done go wrong and uncontrollable. At 11:11pm the tragedy starts.

~•~

By the time scientists in the observatory go for the double power, a minute before the tripling of the energy, exhausted officer is on guard in the power supply control room of the Thermal Power Plant, far west of the island.

Major energy consumer of the power plant in the island has a light monitoring indicators on the wall, framed and covered with glass. Energy interruption and any kind of that will occur in any of those major consumers can activate specific color lights in the control room. And in the present, they all seem in normal. Green lights.

Except the light for the observatory; apple red. And the official assigned was in deep dreamland. After another half minute, the room starts to filled with noise of alarm.

Napabalikwas ang bantay at naglinga-linga sa kwarto, di agad malaman ang nangyayari. Then he saw a light, a red light, blinking rapidly. He pushed buttons and buttons, before he grip by the lever to shutdown the energy consumption of the observatory, but it was stuck. Maybe rusted, the man thought. But no, the energy now is too high to get any action. Yet he still pushed to activate the lever.

Then suddenly, so sudden it jolt down.

~•~

All the people in that room witnessed an explosion foreseen by the machine. That's the time they all go panic.

The machine starts to shake and sparks in different parts. Cables fired up by overpowering, and the light emitted by the machine shines even brighter. Lumen that their tool can't measure.

Tremors propagates on the ground, making everyone in the area go dizzy, some stumbled all the way out. But they were able to get out of the observatory. All of them. They all watch the building explodes as they go far away from the place.

And the explosion is, somewhat, weird. All the people that is still up by that time—almost all of them—see the explosion; through their windows, doors, or even in front of them. They saw the blue bright light of static lightened the night sky of their island. Then it ceased like a faded mist until it was all smoke rising from the collapsed observatory.

Few minutes later, firetrucks arrives. Pinatigil nila ang maliliit na apoy. Pinatay lang nila ang apoy, at di na muling bumalik sa lugar para ayusin ito o alisin man lang ang mga debris. Something weird is happening in that place. Kaya naman binakuran nila ang paligid ng lugar na iyon upang walang makapasok.

Everything is gone—for those scientists, at least. All the scientists evacuated, some migrates to far away land. And they all forget everything they did on that observatory; an order from the head of that facility. They erased all documents of their experiment that once surpass the laws of physics and science.

+++++

Dahil puro horror at SciFi ang binabasa ko ngayon I was able to write this part of Static. I'm currently writing the first chapter and an epigram for the first part.

Sana suportahan niyo ang story na ito. I drooled over this concept HAHAHA

Love you all.

Leave a comment of your reaction and vote for this story.