Chapter Twenty-Six- A Secret I Have To Keep

I got ready the next day and considered that I would probably have to go shopping for new clothes at some point, given that my ab workouts really seemed to be doing something for me. Which was a pretty good thing. 

Imogen's tips really had paid off, after all. 

I put on a white button-up shirt, and some navy jeans, and then said goodbye to both of my mothers before getting the bus to school. 

Mateo was spending some of the day with Gina and Lake, which was understandable enough. 

I got off the bus soon enough when it arrived outside my university, and then proceeded to quickly make my way to Mari's classroom. 

I didn't want to be late. 

She turned to me with a sweet smile upon her face, when she got there. 

"Hi Miss Michaelson," I greeted her, in a friendly manner, as I passed her my papers for homework, "Brought these for you." 

Her eyes lightened a little in her contentedness as she looked over them, for a short while. 

"I can always rely on you to get your homework done. Thank you, Kiera," she told me, then. 

She began to look over them some more at her desk, so I went to sit at my own. 

Starla soon arrived and smiled towards Mari, for a fleeting moment, before coming to sit next to me. 

"Hey," she greeted me. 

"Hey Starla," I replied, "How are you doing?" I inquired. 

"I'm well. Just been studying, working out, messaging my dad a little more. I think our relationship is getting a bit better, which is probably a good thing considering I travel back to Japan in a few days," she stated, then. 

I had almost forgotten about that, actually. 

I had been so occupied that it really had slipped my mind, that there would come a time when Starla wasn't going to be a few minutes' journey away anymore. 

Well, she was only going to be gone for a few weeks, but even so, I was going to miss her. 

At least we had trusty video calls to be able to keep in touch with each other. 

"I'm glad you're getting along a little better with him," I told her, then. 

She smiled appreciatively back at me, before her eyes glanced back to Miss Michaelson. 

I had to admit, I was still curious about what was going on between the two of them. 

Mari soon stood up from her desk, and began to move towards Starla, then. 

"Are you still free tonight?" she whispered to her. 

"I am indeed," Starla replied, the corner of her mouth turning up slightly. 

Was this actually happening right now, or was I simply imagining it? 

It felt crazy. 

I really had spent the morning deliberating over my wardrobe choices, when perhaps I should have spent a little more time trying to get the gossip from my beloved friend, Starla. 

"The local pizza place sound okay?" Mari asked her. 

Starla nodded her head in agreement, at that. 

Mari then met my gaze. 

"Kiera. Please keep this on the down-low. I know that technically this isn't a bad thing, because Starla is only five years younger than me, which is still a little strange. Still, though, I could lose my job over this," she stated.