Chapter 4: Jester's Playground

Chapter Song: "Nightmare" -Nox Arcana

+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

To say that today's events were exhausting was the understatement of the century. You couldn't recall when you had ever been so tired. After returning home, you were scolded by your parents for coming back so late at night. Dinner had also turned cold, so you had to reheat it and eat alone at the dining room table. Shortly afterward, you went up to your room, threw on some cozy pajamas, and brushed your teeth. Sleep came as soon as your head hit the pillow and it was off to Dreamland you went...

...Dreamland turned out to be a fascinating place. Without any recollection as to how you got there, you find yourself sitting at a long table with a white, polyester cloth draped over it. A large assortment of porcelain teapots and tea cups were on top of the table, some of which were oddly designed. There were also hundreds of elegant three-tiered serving trays, each with a multitude of finger sandwiches, scones, biscuits, madeleines, berry tartlets, and French macarons. The scent of elderberry tea mingling with warm sugar was especially strong. There were several strange things about this land besides the out-of-place tea party. For one, the sky was light green with a blazing blue sun overhead. Every square inch of ground was covered by pink knee-length grass that sparkled in the sunlight. These grassy meadows appear to stretch out to the ends of the earth, except for the majestic purple forest ahead. Perhaps the strangest of all was the company you found yourself with.

They were sitting nearby, enjoying the hot tea and treats set out before them. You were already acquainted with these three individuals. Out of all the weird creatures you've come across in your dreams, they appeared the most often. To your right sat a chubby orange animal named Leopold, who had the head of a feline and the body of a caterpillar. His outfit consisted of a crimson pinstripe vest and a faded black bowler hat. He held a violin in one pair of his many arms and was playing a Beethoven number you recognized as "Minuet in G Major, WoO 10, No. 2." He uses another set of arms to grab handfuls of biscuits to stuff in his mouth.

Across the table from Leopold sat a beautiful glass doll, who was berating him for his poor etiquette. Her body was completely transparent, except for the pink jewels that made up her eyes. She had her glassy hair up in two shoulder-length ringlet pigtails and wore an elaborate Victorian-era dress. The doll, who was known as Florence, was delicately holding her tea cup and demonstrating to Leopold how he ought to conduct himself.

Lastly, sitting a couple of seats down from Florence was a lanky man named Mr. Waxwell. He had a candlestick for a head and was clothed in a black tuxedo, which is adorned with a prominent bow tie. The poor man was trying to sip his tea, but the steam from it was causing parts of his waxen face to melt. His bony hands, which were holding a teacup and saucer, were shaking sporadically. How could he drink without a mouth or any facial features for that matter? You would never know. Leopold finishes playing his Beethoven piece, which is met with polite applause from Florence and Mr. Waxwell. Afterward, all three of them acknowledge your presence and greet you.

"My dear, it's been way too long since we've gotten together" spoke Florence. "But you're three minutes late to the party. Where are your manners?"

Leopold throws several biscuits in your direction, several of which hit your face. "Sorry about that, I didn't mean to hit you. I just wanted you to have some before I ate them all. They're delicious!"

"H-Hello," said Mr. Waxwell with a quivering voice. "I-I hope you l-like the t-t-tea! Much better for you than it will be for m-me."

You chuckled as you bit into one of the shortbread biscuits thrown at you. "Wow, this is pretty good." Leopold's chest swells with pride as if he's the one being complimented. "Also, I wasn't aware that we were having a tea party. I think the last one was four months ago."