misguided *wink wink* skeletal-butterfly resurrections. who would've guessed

Prologue

Jason stared into the distance.

Nico felt guilty for squashing his hopes, He was almost tempted to mention his own doubts... what a different sensation Leo's death had given him, as if Leo's soul had invented its own way into the Underworld, something that involved lots of gears, levers and steam-powered pistons.

Nevertheless, Nico was sure Leo Valdez had died. And death was death. It wouldn't be fair to give Jason false expectations.

In the distance, the Romans were picking up their gear and toting it across the hill. On the other side, so Nico had heard, a fleet of black SUVs waited to transport the legion cross-country back to California...

"Ella the harpy is going with them, you know." Jason said. "She and Tyson. Even Rachel Elizabeth Dare. They're going to work together to try to reconstruct the Sibylline books."

"That should be interesting."

"Could take years. But with the voice of Delphi extinguished..."

________________________

Nico happened to glance towards the cabins and saw someone waving at him. Will Solace stood in the doorway of the Apollo cabin, a stern look on his face. He pointed to the ground at his feet, like You. Here. Now.

"Jason," Nico said, "would you excuse me?"

"So where were you? Will demanded. He was wearing a green surgeons shirt with jeans and flip-flops, which was probably not standard hospital protocol.

"What do you mean?" Nico asked.

"I've been stuck in the infirmary for, like, two days. You don't come by. You don't offer to help."

"I- what? Why would anyone want a son of Hades in the same room as people you're trying to heal? Why would anyone want that?"

"You can't help out a friend? Maybe cut bandages? Bring me soda or a snack? Or just a simple How's it going, Will? You don't think I could stand to see a friendly face?"

"What... my face?"

The words simply didn't make sense together. Friendly face. Nico di Angelo.

"You're so dense." Will noted. "I hope you got over that nonsense about leaving Camp Half Blood."

"I- yeah. I did. I mean, I'm staying."

"Good. So you may be dense, but you're not an idiot."

"How can you even talk to me like that? Don't you know I can summon zombies and skeletons and-"

"Right now, you couldn't summon a wishbone without melting into a puddle of darkness, di Angelo." Will said. "I told you, no more Underworldy stuff, doctor's orders. You owe me at least 3 days of rest in the infirmary. Starting now." Nico felt like a hundred skeletal butterflies were resurrecting in his stomach. "Three days? I- I suppose that would be okay."

"Good. Now-"

A loud whoop! cut through the air.

Over by the hearth in the centre of the common, Percy was grinning at something Annabeth had just told him. Annabeth laughed and playfully slapped his arm.

"I'll be right back," Nico told Will. "Promise on the Styx and everything."

__________________________