5-Second thoughts?

Song: the heart wants what it wants by Selena Gomez

Carmen POV

Two days later

She had done it. She had really done it. Carmen smiled to herself, feeling giddy. She had given Gray her number. Whether he would use it or not---and she had been pretty sure he would---was now up to him. However, as the days passed, her doubts began to bother her.

She glanced at her phone. Is he going to call yet?

What...about now?

Now?

She shook her head, feeling silly. Why was she acting like a schoolgirl with a crush?

Her communicator beeped. Player was online. "Hey, red."

"Player. Shouldn't you be doing your schoolwork now?"

"I've got a flexible schedule. All in the perks of being homeschooled."

Carmen sighed, rubbing her temples. "You've assisted on the past three missions, all that happened right after each other. I've got a feeling you're behind."

"I'll manage, Carmen. Promise. Besides, you know you guys need me on the mission the day after tomorrow."

"Fine...but only that one. Then you're taking the whole week off."

"Alright...mom."

Carmen chuckled, shaking her head. "What do your parents think you do all day anyway?"

"They just think I'm gaming. Like mom calls me for dinner and I just say not now mom, we're infiltrating a museum, and she's just like okay honey."

She laughed again, player joining in after a bit. "This is nice. I feel like we haven't talked about something other than missions in a while."

"Yeah...and the fact that you've been preoccupied with someone."

"What?!" Carmen said a little too quickly.

Player snorted, his voice smug. "I'm talking about a certain electrician that you seem to have a soft spot for, in case you didn't figure it out."

"I've got no idea what you're talking about."

"Sure you don't. Just so you know, I don't completely mind him." She could hear him snickering from across the line, but Carmen chose not to acknowledge that.

"You don't? I thought you didn't like him..."

"Nope. I mean, I just thought it was dangerous considering your past. But he really doesn't  seem to remember. He's not too bad...Smart, confident and goofy...and like he knows how to have a good time. A little bit cocky, though."

Carmen smiled softly, thinking of her former best friend's easy smirk. "That's Gray. Cockiness is kind of part of the package deal."

"I figured. Also, he better call you soon."