7--The Date

Carmen POV

Carmen caught a bus to Sydney harbor from her hotel, more and more butterflies forming in her stomach on the trip. She was meeting Gray at the café he'd asked her out to when they'd first met. Well, first met in his eyes at least.

She hopped out of the exit upon arrival, a bounce in her step. A familiar head of brown curls caught her attention. He was in a pair of blue jeans and a dark gray flannel, a small chain strung from his neck.

A cute waitress with deep brown skin skipped up to him, smiling shyly before passing him a steaming mug. Gray accepted, murmuring something to her before she left.

He sipped coffee from his mug, anxiously throwing a glance to his watch.

"Worried I'm not gonna show?"

He turned, his chocolate brown eyes lighting up at the sight of her. "Not anymore."

She laughed, walking beside him. "So, any hints as to where you're taking me?"

"A surprise, is a surprise mate."

"Not even one little clue?" She pouted.

Gray chuckled, his eyes skimming over her quickly before finding her face again. "You'll find out soon enough. By the way, you look great tonight.

A flash of his teeth peeked through the cocky smile ahe'd grown to expect from him and love. The wind blew through his hair, ruffling his curls. She so badly wanted to reach out and fix them. "You don't look so bad yourself. Now about where we're going?"

"Two words: The beach."

Carmen's smile drooped. "Swimming? I didn't bring a bathing suit." So much for priding herself on being prepared.

"There are plenty of things to do at the beach that don't involve water. And hey, there's always shops just in case."

"Sounds like you've got something specific in mind." She turned her head to the side with a grin.

Gray didn't answer her, only smiled deviously before grabbing her hand. Carmen's heart fluttered at his touch, and she adjusted her fingers for a better grip. He pulled her along to a bus station a few squares away from where they'd met up. Carmen read the board above indicating the destination and arrival time. "Bondi, huh?"

"You'll love it, I promise."

They boarded one of the buses, picking a seat in the middle. "I call the window seat!" She chirped, plopping down.

"Its all yours, mate." Gray laughed, settling down next to her. Carmen did not at all mind the fact that their legs were touching.

"So...what're we going to do at Bondi Beach?"

"How do you feel about Boardwalks?" He said, eyes glimmering.

"Well I've got nothing against them. You?"

Gray laughed, a hand finding his hair. "I reckon you're going to be a hard one to please, Carmen."

"What can I say? I'm a girl with standards."

"I'll win you over yet." He winked. "So...can I ask you something?"

"Shoot."

"What made you leave your number with all that money? Which I still feel guilty about, by the way."

Carmen paused for a second, a flush blooming in her cheeks. To tell the truth, she herself wasn't entirely sure why she'd left him her number. All she knew was that she wanted to reconnect. She didn't want to let VILE keep her from living her life anymore. She knew it was a risk. But maybe-just maybe-it would end up paying off.