17. Advising friend

| Edited |
________________________________________

Karna sat in his study chamber with pile of papers under the paperweight, which kept them at place on the table. His elbow rested on the table with his fingers pressing against his forehead. He clearly looked distressed about something.

"This is astonishing!" Karna looked up, listening to the familiar voice and there stood his childhood friend, Ashwatthama.

"Ashwatthama!" Karna beamed as he stood up and hugged him.

"The great archer, Karna who recognises anyone's presence just by the mere sound of footsteps— today didn't even alert himself." Ashwatthama teased.

Karna gave him a small smile before turning away. Ashwatthama immediately understood something was bothering his friend.

Karna and Ashwatthama became friends in their childhood. Their bond was much older than compared to Karna and Duryodhan's.

Both of them had nothing to gain with their friendship but they were connected on the basis of similar circumstances. They both kept away from the interest because of their lineage. Both were neglected by Drona. Both were loved dearly by their families but were not accepted by the society for their prowess.

"You seems to be worried about something, my friend. What's bothering you?" He asked placing his hand on Karna's shoulder.

"Ashwatthama," he hesitated.

"Come on Karna, at least tell me,"

Karna sighed, "Duryodhan has asked me to join him for the swayamvar of Panchal Princess; King Drupad's daughter, Draupadi's swayamvar."

"I'm not really interested in going there and also King Drupad has send no invitation to me," Karna looked at Ashwatthama.

"Then say no to Duryodhan,"

"And how shall I say no to him, Ashwatthama? And more than you no one can understand my situation best." Karna spoke in distress.

"He is our friend, Karna. As much as I know Duryodhan, he loves you genuinely, he won't mind if you deny. Also, until you won't try, you can never know the result."

"You're right when you said this but his uncle definitely tricked him into taking me to the swayamvar too! And his uncle keep saying the same thing 'your friend is never agree to my thoughts, dear nephew' you know it already!"

"But isn't that true?" Ashwatthama chuckled.

"Obviously it is. Gandhar-Naresh's schemes are always the road to adharma, and what is wrong and right does not matter to him but for me it does!"

"You clearly don't like him,"

"That's not the subject right now, my friend!"

"Hmm well..." Ashwatthama sighed and looked up, "What's the condition for winning the swayamvar?"

"Something related to the sacred bow of Lord Shiva," Karna replied.

"Then I think you should go, because to be honest— I never saw any archer equal to Arjun, except for you."

"Duryodhan is the one who has been invited," Karna pointed out.

"And he has asked you to accompany him and since you can't deny, go with him. I've heard Princess of Panchal, Draupadi who is born of out fire is incredibly beautiful."

"I am still working on the subjects of Anga," Karna replied, "I'm not interested in marriage and stuff, right now."

"Then perhaps, you've never been in love with a woman before, or you're already interested in someone else?" He teased putting a hand on his friend's shoulder.

"What do you mean?" Karna asked, acting bemused.

"Look, it's either you really don't have any woman in your life, or there's someone hidden in your heart. A woman doesn't need your permission to enter your life, my friend."

Karna felt his heart thumping. These talks of Ashwatthama was reminding him of Madirakshi. Her beautiful moon like face, enchanting smile, and charming features, roaming in his mind, like the clouds in sky.

"Tell me, any beautiful incident happened with you?" Ashwatthama wiggled his eyebrows.

"No." Karna denied, "By the way, are you not taking part in the swayamvar?" He asked, changing the topic.

"How can I?" Ashwatthama sneered, "My father and King Drupad are Gurubhai, that's why I and Princess Draupadi are brother-sister."

"Oh yes," Karna said realising.

"Yes, I am also her family. And whosoever will win the competition, I'll welcome them too."

"Being her family, you're also coming to Kampilya, right?"

"Of course," He smiled.

"Then let's go together." Karna suggested.

"That's a good idea. Let's leave together."

"By the way, quite easily you changed the subject." Ashwatthama commented sarcastically, while Karna looked at him amused.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Hello there readers!
Hope you all are doing well.
Another chapter is here.
Please comment your delightful thoughts and hit the star button to vote.
Stay tuned! 😉