five

—So...?

Time seemed to have stopped: Josh and I were still holding hands and looking at Lucas who kept looking back at us, confused and now, raising his brows.

—You're here, Huckleberry.

Yup, that's all I could said, not moving my hands anywhere and this time, Lucas crossed his arms.

—So, am I interrupting something? —geez, he wasn't going to stop with that question.

—Hey, Lucas —Josh intervened with a smile, finally letting go my hand—. It's been a while since I last saw you.

—Yeah, it has... and why am I seeing you right now?

Josh and I frowned at the way he asked that question. I could have been hallucinating but I was pretty sure by his tone that Lucas was... angry?

—We were just talking.

—Oh, you were? —he mocked only making me more confused.

—I'm sensing you were expecting each other so... —Josh said standing up.

—You're very perceptive.

Yup, now I could confirm that I couldn't be more confused. I mean, Lucas and Josh were never what you could call "friends", but I never knew there were some sort of problems or something between them that was making Lucas talked to him that way.

—Yeah... I think I should go now —Josh smiled to him weirded out—. I just... I just wanted you to now that. It's true, Maya.

He said to me giving me one last look before he walked out the place leaving Lucas and me alone for the first time.

—What was that all about, Huckleberry? —I inquired harshly.

—I don't know, I was expecting you to answer me that same question —he responded me the same way.

—What is going on? Your horse died or something? What the...?

—I saw you —he interrupted me, only confusing me more—. I saw you holding hands.

For an instant I felt the need to shut up. I know that I felt worried once I saw Lucas in front of us seeing us hold hands, but after the way he talked to Josh and the way he was speaking to me, that worry faded away and was changed for confusion, enough for me to let go a mocking laugh this time.

—And?

—And I don't know what kind of game are you playing right now, Maya, but I was honest with you the other day.

—Honest with what? What the heck are talking about, Lucas?!

—I told you how I felt after that almost kiss. And you told me you felt the same way and that you were alone, but now...

—Now what? —I was the one who interrupted him this time—. You see me holding hands with one guy and you instantly think I lied to you?

—It's not any guy, Maya, it's Josh...

—Exactly! —I raised my voice—. You know him, you know I have liked him for three years now.

—Maybe that's the problem... you like another guy and that's always going to be something between us.

—Between us? —I repeated—. Lucas, we're not together so I don't know where this jealousy scene is coming from.

I said without even thinking, but the fury had already embraced me not knowing why Lucas was acting that way.

I thought everything was ok between us, that we were going to explore our feelings and see where that lead us, but, I was beginning to think Lucas thought we were something already, otherwise I couldn't explain myself, why did it bother him so much that Josh and I were holding hands?