C H A P T E R 4 1

Arabella's POV

"Hey Scott!" I greeted Mr. Roosevelt's secretary as he was seated across of my new boss's office. Oh yes I accepted Xavier's offer for the interview that day, but he didn't interviewed me or even tried to force the officer to make my interview easy. as the interview was really hard and officers who interviewed me was quite reluctant about even recruiting me. But in the end they decided to give me a job while I complete my internship under Mr. Roosevelt's supervision. Which I'm happy to do so.

"Good morning Arabella." Scott smiled up at me. He was in his late thirties, with green eyes and silvering black hair. He was married and has a two year old baby girl. " Mr. Roosevelt wants to see you." He said nodding toward the black oak door.

"Okay thanks." I replied with a smile before heading toward the door. I fixed the cuff of my white bodycon dress, which reach past my knees with slits in both side; and tugged back my left open hair.

I knocked on the door three times before a grumbled come in resonated the room

I knocked on the door three times before a grumbled come in resonated the room. I opened the door with out making any sound and closed it behind me. Xavier was seated in his enormous desk with glasses on reading a file and a frown marred to his face. He rubbed his temple with his fingertips amd sighed.

"Sir? You asked to see me." I asked entering more deeper in the room. His office room was large, spacious, with two different sitting area; while on had a small bar, the other had a pristine view of Central Park and upper west Manhattan. And his desk was right far away two platform high then the floor, with the view of beautiful sky rise glimmering buildings. His attention shifted toward me after hearing me speaking.

"Oh yes Arabella." He sighed, making me frown. Poor man he looks way too much stressed out and busy. He begin to dug through his already heaped documents and file, and brought out a blue folder. " I want you to get through this and point out if anything needs to change or filled in." he said handing me that.

I took the folder out of his hand and went through it before giving a nod and asking, "Anything else?"

He shaked his head saying," No." when his neck poped and he gave out a hiss, immediately cupping the back of his neck.

"You look stressed and painful." I said advancing toward his desk as he moved his neck side by side testing his pain.

"Yes." He said nodding slightly letting go of his neck. But then again he started massaging the side of his temple, giving out a low groan of pain.

"You should have a cup of coffee." I offered in a soft voice. He looked up at me pondering over my offer.

"You don't have to make it." He rejected my offer.

"I make good cup though." I reasoned out trying to make him accept my offer. He opened his mouth to protest but got cut off by the vibration of his phone. He grabbed the phone off his desk and muttered something under his breath.

"Accept it. It will make you feel better." I tried to force but of course if he wants. It's painful to see him like this, groaning in pain every once in a while.

"Okay, okay. Thank you Arabella." He gave out chuckle, shaking his head, as he picked up his phone. I grinned at his direction before heading out of the room with the folder in my hand. After dropping off the folder on the desk of my cubicle I headed toward the break room to make a cup of coffee for my boss.

After working for Xavier and spending time with him, I found out that he was lactose intolerant. No cheese, no ice-cream, what a sad life. So he takes his coffee black and strong with out any sugar, which was indead in my hand as I was heading toward his door. He was talking in his phone looking out of the glass window, with his back turned toward me.

"Okay Mom. Yes I will. Yes I will bring her." he said with a sigh as he disconnected the call.

"Your coffee is here." I said placing the cup on his table.

"Thanks." he smiled at me after eyeing the coffee. I turned on my feet only to be stopped by Xavier. "Wait. I have to tell you something," He started as I turned back at him.

"well there will be a party today in my parent's country house. And my mother want to meet you." He said and I nodded with a frown.

"What's the occasion?" I asked carefully, as his words slowly sinked in.

"Well, how to put this. it's my birthday." he said scratching the back of his neck, while redness crept up to his neck. I nodded, it's his birthday. Wait! It's his birthday?!

"What?!" I exclaimed with my mouth fell open and my eyes wide. He opened his mouth to explain but was immediately cut off by me as I lunged at him, embracing him in a tight hug. He was startled for a moment before hugging me back. "Happy Birthday!" I sing songed happily giving him one last tight hug before letting him go. He chuckled at my action releasing me.

"Thank you." He said laughing softly. But one realisation hit me.

"But I should have gifted you something. Oh God I should have known!" I exclaimed horrified. I really should have known it! And what am I supposed to wear to the party?! Oh I do have a dress, my mom send it.

"Arabella. Calm down. Now you are getting stressed out." he teased. "I should make a cup of coffee for you."

"God no!" I exclaimed laughing at which he gave a deep earthy laugh. He sobered up immediately.

"I'll pick you up at seven. Let me warn you my mother is really fancy." he said with a chuckle, thinking of him mother.

"Okay." I said with a nod before getting out of his office room.

But why does his mother wants to meet me?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the short chapter!

I'm actually sick for the past five days with fever.

Anyway now what's up with Xavier's mother ?? 🤔🤔🤔

Love,
Erica!