4

Imitating him, I repeated the name that a previously fallen from his lips.

"Noah. Hi, it's lovely to meet you also." We remained eye contact, and I could see the shine of a smile hidden among his eyes. It was refreshing to be talking to someone other than the library manager. I would come here every day, catching up with college work or escaping into a faraway fantasy land, whichever book I had chosen that day. Today, Narnia sat on the desk in front of me, the page number that I was on was now just a distant memory. Mundane stuff like that didn't matter to me anymore, at least, they didn't matter as long as Noah was here. The boy opposite me was twiddling is thumbs, and I could faintly make out the action of him jigging his leg up and down, as if he was nervous, perhaps. I dismissed that thought as quickly as it came to me. 'How could someone be nervous talking to a Plain Jane like me?' I wondered. I watched as he leaned back in his chair, his eyes roaming about my face as if he was studying me. They flicked back and forth from each feature. My eyes. My nose. My lips. The small beauty mark underneath my left eye. My face grew hot as I was being scrutinized by the most gorgeous boy I had ever laid my eyes upon, who knew what was going on inside of his head. What did he think of me?

"Are you okay?" I asked politely, "what happened to you today?" I gestured towards his lip and the grazes that had appeared on his knuckles. I couldn't imagine a boy like him fighting anyone, in my eyes, he seemed too delicate for something like that, like a porcelain doll. The imperfections that had graced him this day seemed too out of place, a huge contrast from what I was used to.

"I got into a fight," he causally announced, as if this was an ordinary thing for him. I couldn't act surprised as I expected this answer, all I could do was nod my head and wait for him to continue.

"However, I'll spare you the details on how and why it happened, all you need to know is that I won," he smirked, and pushed hair back from his eyes, a habit I had picked up on long ago. Once his hand had dropped back onto the desk I instinctively went to grab it, with the intention of inspecting his wounds. I reached out my hand towards his, but as I realised what I was doing I drew back. Noah peered at my hands, and a hint of disappointment flickered through his eyes. I sighed, before leaning my head into my hands, and asking, "What brings you here today? To me."

He shook his head, his curls furiously bouncing upon his head, as he said "I don't know. I just, had this feeling, no this urge to talk to you. I noticed you ever since you stepped foot into this library. You intrigue me, Lily, like no one else ever has before. After the fight today I subconsciously made my way here without knowing why. As soon as I saw your face I just thought it was right to approach you. I'm sorry if any of that came off in the wrong way, I'd hate to scare you away so soon." He awkwardly scratched the back of his neck and averted his gaze from mine once he had finished speaking.

My eyes were fixed on his face as I tried to comprehend what he had just said. The words 'You intrigue me, Lily,' plagued my mind over and over, wondering in what sense he meant. A smile decorated my face as I realised that he thought of me often, the boy I was in love with. The boy I admired from afar.